• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Observations at the NMLRA fall championships

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Wilson said:
msuspartandon said:
We could debate on the what if's, what could be's till we are ALL blue in the face.
And you'll notice that the complaining comes from people who are not current members. They don't care enough to participate, but they sure think they know how to run the show. :haha:

Wrong JACK you need to read the ENTIRE POST, as many of those with NMLRA Problems are Current Members. Open you eyes, and read post # 1-END.

BTW if you missed it, I said I would NEVER JOIN THE NMLRA AGAIN, way too Jurassic for me.

akapennypincher said:
Jack Wilson said:
msuspartandon said:
We could debate on the what if's, what could be's till we are ALL blue in the face.
And you'll notice that the complaining comes from people who are not current members. They don't care enough to participate, but they sure think they know how to run the show. :haha:

Wrong JACK you need to read the ENTIRE POST, as many of those with NMLRA Problems are Current Members. Open you eyes, and read post # 1-END.

BTW if you missed it, I said I would NEVER JOIN THE NMLRA AGAIN, way too Jurassic for me.
Actually, I was referring to you - the career NMLRA complainer. :rotf:

Why continually complain about something you are not a member of, and don't want to be a member? Is it the frustration of the club not implementing your ideas?

Jack,
You hit the nail on the head. Like someone who complains about the President/Politician but did not vote.

Pennypincher,
The way to change anything is to be involved. You have spent many posts complaining about what the NMLRA is not. Then DO SOMETHING about it. Your coming off as a chronic whiner. You have good reasons of what needs fixing but want it your way or the highway.

So, you going to pony up or continue to be a whiner? :dead:

I joined to make it better. Dixie is asking for ideas, thoughts and ways we can make the appeal better for most. Many may not work BUT the effort is needed.

Here is a solemn thought for all;
'If we let this orginization die out, will there be another?'
The answer will be like many programs that died, NO,NO,NO and another NO!!!!!

The reason would be 'We tried it once and it did not work, so no reason to resurrect a dead horse'.
AND then the inlines and liberals win. :surrender:

Thank you to the NMLRA for what you are and I hope I can help it evolve into a better orginization as time goes on.

Cheers, DonK

The NMLRA has an excellent safety record (going on 80 years) I believe we know a little about what we are doing. What works for SASS and their matches will not work for NMLRA and our matches. As anyone who attends and participates in our events knows or comes to know, safety is of primary importance and is enforced strictly i.e. DO NOT PRIME OR CAP until on firing line with muzzle pointed downrange, CARRY RIFLE TO AND FROM FIRING LINE WITH MUZZLE UP and above your head. With just these 2 rules the range is safe for all,
( there are more rules on line and they likewise are strictly enforced but these 2 are of major importance) , doesn't matter how light my trigger is set.

10 years form now I will be enjoying all that the NMLRA has to offer, not sitting around trying to tear something down that I am not part of!!

I have to say that the Range Officers at Friendship are diligent. I know this because I have personally been checked and reminded of the rules. In addition to the Range Officers watchfulness, the other members at the range also keep an eye on each other and will not hesitate to point out any safety issues.

AMEN to that. :thumbsup: It gets a little old when a post on the N.M.L.R.A. opens up and you have to read the same old complaining from non members with a vendetta against the Association.
If you have the answers then join and run for the Board of Directors.

I am NOT a member and will not join. I may be way off here, but I see inline shooters as instant gratification type who can't be bothered with knowledge, practice and tradition. This is our history and should be celebrated as such, Not Cowboys vs Aliens which was just as stupid. Heritage seems to mean nothing to a lot of folk these days and I will take no part in killing my Heritage. I will do all that I can to pass on what I have learned from those who took the time to teach me and be proud of who I am, because of who they were. True Story!

Modern ML are not my cup of tea either, but there are many people who have never even seen a traditional muzzleloader,because no local sporting goods store or big box store carries anything besides modern ML. Neither did they experience a shooter handling a traditional ML successfully. 99.5% of the sales clerks has no clue even about modern ML and simply push for the sale what yields the business the highest profits. The influence of modern ML is practically non-existant at the big shoots at Friendship,IN. Matter of fact: The last 2 years I did not see any modern ML around spending 50% around commercial row and the rest on the primitive range. If you like the traditional stuff, the fun is at the primitive range anyways.... About 3 years ago there was a modern ML shooter on the woodswalk behind me. He was very surprised to see how effective traditional ML are and after the shooting was very eager to get a traditional ML and learn more about them. There is lots of conversion "material" out there....

You would think that the NMLRA would be an advocate for the primitive weapon and not be drooling over the new kid on the block. Loyalty to Heritage should be the agenda not numbers. Lobby for Primitive seasons would be time and money better spent to keep the tradition alive not help to kill it. I hope I am not the only one who sees the problem with the numbers. I think it is pretty simple, don't ignore the cause of the problem and let it get worse while looking for the answer.

I joined the NMLRA at the Fall Shoot in 1971, was out for a few years while I put my boys through school, sports, etc., been back in for awhile now and glad of it. Always participated on the Primitive side, so that,s probably what I know best.

1st: Primitive camping fees have been reduced, see thread by Nathaniel Logsdon on Frontier Folks, (Nathaniel was elected to the BOD in 2011).

2nd: To have BOD members from west of the Mississippi, we need to have someone from the west, run. The candidates for 2012 should be listed in the January 2012 MB.

3rd: the NMLRA now has a page on facebook; https://www.facebook.com/groups/96116146327/

4th: The new education building was dedicated in 2011 at the Spring Shoot. A nice facility where historical displays and classes on making period
crafts are held.

I know these are not earth shattering events, and only touch on some the concerns raised, but steps are be taken to improve the Association. I'd be the last to try and beg anyone to join if they do not wish to, but it doesn't do anyone any good to get on an open forum and discourage joining an organization in the shooting sports.

I appreciate the work being done by the officers and board of the NMLRA.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
MeatStick said:
I am NOT a member and will not join. I may be way off here, but I see inline shooters as instant gratification type who can't be bothered with knowledge, practice and tradition. This is our history and should be celebrated as such, Not Cowboys vs Aliens which was just as stupid. Heritage seems to mean nothing to a lot of folk these days and I will take no part in killing my Heritage. I will do all that I can to pass on what I have learned from those who took the time to teach me and be proud of who I am, because of who they were. True Story!

So, you ARE NOT and WILL NOT join. In other words you don't know anything about the NMLRA and won't bother to go and see for yourself what it's all about? :confused:
You SAY you will do all that you can to pass on what you have learned... but not to anyone who would shoot or has shot a modern type gun??? :confused:
A lot of those guys have never been exposed to REAL muzzleloaders and just might be interested if you would talk to them... maybe offer them a chance to try out a traditional gun. The magazines all say traditional guns are unreliable, that's all a lot of folks have to go by. Show them the truth.

I have to agree with you that a primitive-only deer season would be a very good thing for traditional muzzleloading. That is not the only problem with the membership numbers tho. There are many causes. One of those is the closed-minded idea that the NMLRA is overrun by modern guns and "I'll never join a club that allows in%@%#s!"

The reality is that there are a few modern type guns being shot at Friendship and a BUNCH of traditional ones. On the primitive range there are NO modern guns, ONLY traditional ones. You should go check out one of the big shoots in June or September for yourself some time and then decide if you'd ever join. :v

One thing state fish and game departments look at is the size of the membership asking for rule changes. Growing the organization would help our chances of getting a primitive weapons season.

First muzzle loader I ever shot was a KY style flinter in the mid 60's, I can count on both hands with fingers left over the times I have shot percussion. I would think I don't need to state my feelings about inlines.

I'm all for a flintlock, longbow only season, I know, but I can wish can't I.

Wayne

The problem with having an attitude against 'inlines' will be the start of another division. When people gather and the rifles you see are mostly longrifles, you will start to want to be part of that group. Not always, true but many will see the light.
Just like many see buying a T/C or CVA or Pedrsoli is an affront to BP shooting because it is not a trditional'hand' or 'custom' built piece.

If my son/wife/girlfriend (just kidding wife!!! :grin: ) wants to shoot a T/C, then go ahead.

An inline give me the opportunity to change that persons mind AND attitude. Not to dismiss an orginization because it includes a few (and I mean a few) alternitive rifles. Like haveing a motorcycle club that only lets certain bikes in. Too inclusive and will fail.

Cheers, DonK

MeatStick said:

It was that kind of thinking that Strum Ruger & Company away from being a Advertiser in the Muzzle Blast EACH MONTH, and Major Sponsorship to the NMLRA Western/Winter Shoot.
Strum Ruger & Company now advertises else where, so who lost?

Having been able to talk one on one with a VP of Manufacturing at Ruger. I posed the Question as to why when "Strum Ruger & Company" decided to build Muzzle Loaders, they went with the "inline design" v/s say a Hawkin Type Rifle.

The answer was the guy who was looking for a muzzle loader for a second hunting season, muzzle loader season, was an easier "sell" with the inline design. Because it looked like his Modern Both Action Rifle.

Companies make business decisions on potentail return, or for those in Rio Linda CA potential sales, and as I said the inline design sold, and took off.

BTW I have personally seen several INLINE Shooters, transition to Traditional Muzzle Loader because they found a Flintlock MORE FUN to Shoot.

IMHO Inlines should be welcome at NMLRA Shots, and all you need do is have a few matches for INLINE ONLY, maybe some of them Inline Shooter will get the Traditional Muzzle Loader Bug, and show up next year with a Flinter, as they left the Inline Home.

I just joined after reading through this thread. Having been a long time ML owner but just recently catching the FL bug, I still have a fresh perspective on the ML community so will give benefit of the doubt to one of the few organizations that is working towards keeping the sport/hobby alive. As far as the state of declining membership and interest in this sport there is much else I could say, but would reserve any comment until I have more time invested. One thing is for certain, and that is that (like all communities) there are people who take "their" hobby very seriously and become wed to a single notion of how things should be. To me hobbies and sport are to be enjoyed,and I prefer traditional ML's. But, I (at least currently) see no reason not to let folks enjoy muzzleloading however they would like without stereotyping them based on the gun they shoot or anything else for that matter.

stormcrow said:
Having been a long time ML owner but just recently catching the FL bug, I still have a fresh perspective on the ML community so will give benefit of the doubt to one of the few organizations that is working towards keeping the sport/hobby alive.

One of the reasons Muzzle Loading Shooting is declining in interest is the average of shooter in general is an older group. We are dying off everyday.

The Media, and Certain Groups of our Elected Officials is anti GUN. Be the Gun a Modern Firearm, or Tradition Flintlock Firearm. To these people all Firearm are BAD MOJO.

Every time some NUT JOB like the NUT JOB in Tucson, AZ who killed several, and several injured a US Congresswomen with a Firearm. These incidents give the Anti Gun Crowd fuel for their fire to limit or curb personal firearms ownership.

Thank goodness the NRA is working on stopping more Anti Gun LAWS, as they know More Laws do not work, and if the existing LAWS were ENFORCED. Firearms would not be in the NEWS as often.

Also today it is in some places a heck of a lot of Red Tape, and Government Regulations has been used as a barrier, or to impede to Personal Firearm Ownership. Try and buy any Hand gun in NYC, you will be SOL.

Try and Buy Real Black Powder in City of Los Angeles, or Phoenix Arizona. It is NSF, and has been NSF in Los Angeles city over 30 years.

As the Country grew there are fewer, and fewer places to shoot, and hunt. When I was a kid it was nothing to come home from school, grab my .22, and head off to some non populated wooded area in at the edge of the Everglades for an after noon of fun, or varmint hunting. I would walk the mile or so with my .22 over my shoulder, and a pocket full of ammo. No one noticed me, or the other kids doing the same thing.

If some kid did that now in 2011, someone would dial 911, and a SWAT Team would be dispatched in many places to deal with the threat.

Than you got the "O" Administration, doing things like "FAST & FURIOUS", that went South, and have fueled the Anti Gun Crowd for more Gun Control. I am sure we have not hear the last about “Fast & Furious”, and why more Gun Control is needed!

An enemy of my enemy is a friend meantality, is not fixing the problem. The problem is, we are allowing ourselves to be pushed into a corner and doing nothing to rectify the problem. If we do not join together and push back we will be replaced by the new history. I will fight my own battles, not hope that someone else will come to my aid. We are talking about history, tradition and a way of life which we hope to pass to the next generation. I am not trying to re-write history to fit my agenda, I am trying to pass on an acccurate how to and why.

msuspartandon said:
Like haveing a motorcycle club that only lets certain bikes in. Too inclusive and will fail.
Somebody better tell the millions of Harley riders that their local HOG chapter (over 1,400 chapters world-wide) is about to disappear. :wink:

Claude said:
Somebody better tell the millions of Harley riders that their local HOG chapter (over 1,400 chapters world-wide) is about to disappear. :wink:

If the other 1,399 Chapters are like the Snotsdale, AZ HOG Chapter, a Big Ride for them is from the Harley Davidson-STEALERSHIP, to the local Starbucks. :bull:

Back