• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Offhand accuracy with flintlock pistols ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got done with my Traditions Kentucky flintlock pistol and have been putting it through it's paces. With 25 grains of 3F and patched round ball I can get a single ragged one hole group at 15 yards all day , when rested on a sand bag off the bench. Now when I get off the bag and bench things get wonky. Groups run 3" to 4" with the random flyer, from me of coarse. Using a one hand grip in a "dueling" stance is the least accurate , a two handed grip, like on a modern pistol is better but not by much. What should I expect as far as accuracy from an unsupported position ? Any tips or advice ? -Thanks

Just got done with my Traditions Kentucky flintlock pistol and have been putting it through its paces. With 25 grains of 3F and patched round ball I can get a single ragged one hole group at 15 yards all day , when rested on a sand bag off the bench. Now when I get off the bag and bench things get wonky. Groups run 3" to 4" with the random flyer, from me of coarse. Using a one hand grip in a "dueling" stance is the least accurate , a two handed grip, like on a modern pistol is better but not by much. What should I expect as far as accuracy from an unsupported position ? Any tips or advice ? -Thanks
You could achieve offhand what you achieve off the bench rest.
Practice, practice and then practice some more 😉

Back