• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olive oil for patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter A Meyer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen somewhere on the Muzzleloading Forum (I think it was) that olive oil can be used for "conditioning" bores of muzzleloaders, and that it is a fair choice for protective oiling of a bore after cleaning.

Is there any reason why it can't be used lightly as a lubricant on round ball patches? Has anyone tried it in this role? Perhaps by soaking a batch of patches in it and then squeezing the excess out?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Pete.

I do use olive oil for lube in my shotgun cushions. I think it works great!

Olive oil is useful for lubricating patches, etc. but is a bit thin for storage use. Have used the olive oil with beeswax for lubing and cleaning but haven't used anything else with it since it didn't seem necessary. If you use olive oil, be sure to use Extra Virgin (First Cold Pressing). This is the pure oil with no heat, salt or other oils added. Many olive oil products not so marked can be mixes of oils from different types and sources. What you have left over is actually extremely good for you too.

olive oil probably has some water in it, either added or naturally.. put it in a freezer and see what happens.. you dont want to use a water based patch lube below freezing.. or for storage.. i should say i dont want to use water based lube below zero.. dave..

Olive oil is great! (just ask Popeye)
I mix it with Bee's wax also to the consistancy of warm BoreButter.
By melting and blending it together in a pan of simmering water (double boiler style). I'm thinking there's not much (if any) water in it. Murphy's oil soap seems to be of little value in the concoction.
My BPs get cleaned once a month whether used or not and with this method, it's all I need.
Olive oil by it's self I think is too thin for an effective patchlube to keep fouling soft without soaking the powder.
An added plus to this bee's wax and olive oil mix is that it's a pretty darn good "furniture polish" too.

I have used olive oil/bees wax exclusively for the last 8 years. I highly recommend it.

Makes a good leather conditioner/waterproofer too.

Greetings All,

I am trying to understand why products such as Young County Lube 103 and Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube, specifically designed for ML shooting is not preferable to olive oil.

Best regards and good shooting, John L. Hinnant

I Mix 50% plus bees wax, with 12.5% virgin olive oilo, and 12.5% Murphy's oil. Here in Ontario it stays soft, and yet blends well in to patches, with out bleeding into the powder.
In a hotter climate you may want to increase the bees wax, but not too much.
I measure the amounts by volume prior to mixing.
Melt the bees wax, and then add the Olive oil, and then the Murphy's oil. It is a great patch lube, keeps the burnt powder residue in the barrel soft, and easy to reload.

Best Regards.
Old Ford

I use the same mix that I clean with to lube my ox yoke dry patches, lubes well and cleans bore a bit everytime i load a pb, never have a folwling problem, even after a 30 round woods walk, makes clean up alot faster after shooting, mix is 1cup dawn or any dish soap, 1 cup murphys oil soap, 1 bottle hoppes#9 all in a 1 gallon milk jug, top with water and shake lasts a whole rondy season and into huntn season!

For me the answer to your question is twofold.

1) Olive oil/beeswax is cheaper.....and I'm a cheap bastard.
2) Olive oil/beeswax is PC.

I used the other stuff for years, it worked just as well. No better, no worse.

Mr.Meyer,I use sweet oil for lubrication on the gun and the patches aswell.I have been using it for many years w/ no ill affects.Best regards,J.A.

"I am trying to understand why products such as Young County Lube 103 and Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube, specifically designed for ML shooting is not preferable to olive oil"

Because;
a) I'm frugal (cheapskate)
b) most everything here is BB or mail-order ($$$) and availability is always questionable.
c) it's a multi-use compound
Actually, the wax is free as long as I'm willing to filter it myself and the oil is a job-lot / dollar store item. I mix up a 2 lb. coffee can at a time for about $3.00
Yup, like I said, "I'm frugal". :haha:

I use the olive oil/beeswax too. Don't ask me the ratio. I just melt some in a tin and add oil. If it is too thin when it cools, I add more wax. If it is too stiff, I add more oil. Reminds me, I need to go out and make some more up. I use it on a LOT of stuff that needs greasin'...including my chapped lips! :)

Cheap enough. As was said, olive oil is a Dollar General Store item and beeswax ain't real expensive either. Why buy anything else? Kind of like bore cleaner. Why spend money on bore cleaners when FREE water works perfectly? :winking:

Latest posts

Back