• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

olive oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Fitzgibbon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I see where a lot of you guys like using olive
oil on your patches.Why olive oil over other
vegetable oils?
Fly :idunno:

Cause it sounds sexier and smells better. :wink:

Also, it's "traditional". Olive oil is what the old boys called sweet oil.

Actually, any vegetable oil would probably work as well. Never tried any though, but have been thinking about giving peanut oil a go because it has the highest smoke point of all the veg oils.

Because it costs 5X more than regular vegetable oil plus it allows us to say educated things like,

"I'm so glad you brought the Balsamic Vinegar! It will go so nicely with the Olive Oil I brought and give a wonderful bouquet to our skunk cabbage salad. Now, pass me another roundball and a clean patch." . :grin:

I still prefer Bore Butter as all around best. When you consider everything associated with it's use and availability. But it isn't the best in colder weather. Olive oil is good in colder shooting conditions and when mixed with Bore Butter is my favorite. Olive oil by itself is OK.

One thing worth noting is that Olive Oil has a significantly higher flash point than many of the cheaper, more common Vegetable oils, and therefore shoots a little cleaner, in theory anyway. The Light Olive Oils have a higer flash point than the Extra Virgin, which works to our advantage, cuz it is much cheaper. While Olive Oil is more expensive, considering how little is actually used from shot to shot the difference in price is negligible. You can Google up "Cooking Oil Flash Points" for some interesting reading, and decide for yourself. I use it, simply cuz we do a lot of cooking and usually have it on hand, but I wouldn't hesitiate to use something else if that's what I had. When I was a Kid I don't know how many pounds of plain old Lard we used...

Eric

P.S. - Of the more common, cheaper Oils I believe Canola has a pretty high Flash Point...

Olive oil was refered to as sweet oil in the old days because it doesn't get rancid over time. How many of us keep our patch lubes in the ice box? I ran a short informal test a few years back using lard, olive oil, corn oil, peanut oil, soy bean oil, sperm whale oil ( The real stuff ) , synthetic sperm whale oil ( The jabbola bean stuff dixie sells ), and sun flower oil. They all performed basiclly the same, as a patch lube! :hmm: :idunno: :hmm:

Capper said:
Olive Oil...............Salad

And what about that little bit xtra in the bottom of the bowl after th' salad is ett'n up? That cud lube enuf patches to git t'morrows dinner!

Waste not, want not.

Dan

Olive Oyl, good enough for Pop Eye, good enough for me!!

POPEYE.jpg

Capper said:

Mink Oil................Patches

Actually, so-called mink oil is highly over rated. Olive oil has been used for shooting, sporting and military, for hundreds of years and was used in Europe until just recently. Italy was the last nation that routinely issued olive oil to it's troops for cleaning and lubrication. It works very well.

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Capper said:

Actually, so-called mink oil is highly over rated. Olive oil has been used for shooting, sporting and military, for hundreds of years and was used in Europe until just recently. Italy was the last nation that routinely issued olive oil to it's troops for cleaning and lubrication. It works very well.

Really. Did they just invent minks?

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Capper said:

Is mink oil over rated? I don't think so! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back