• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Orderd My First Build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered the John and Caleb Vincent rifle parts set today. I got it because it sed that it was one of there easiest kits to build. It will be .45 cal and I am thinking of using Cherry stain on it. I look forward to this build. any one here build this and ware did you hang up on the project ?

Can you post a link? I'd like to see their products. Thanks :v

I put one together a few years ago .. My wife and I actually drove down to Golden Age Arms in Ohio..
We met Jim Johnston and he had quite a shop before it closed..
I bought a full stock, and he sold me beautiful wood with full figure.. at a really good price..
I used a Green Mountain 45 caliber barrel with 7/8's across the flats.. shoulda used 13/16 instead..
Gun turned out to be too heavy for me at 42" length..
Made a nice tack driving bench gun tho..
Be EXTREMELY careful around the bottom of the butt plate - toe area.. this is thin, pointy wood and use small screws to secure it - ( ask me how I know !! :cursing: :cursing: :redface: )
Also the Vincent had very distinct side inlays ; make sure you drill STRAIGHT thru if using a full stock.. Use a drill press with a fence against the barrel.. again - I got in a hurry and used a hand drill - Oh #%%*^% :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
Used Magic Maple stain and it really put a nice color to the wood..
I no longer own that rifle - been working on a Leonard Reedy for the last 4 years - ( health problems keep slowing me up.. )
After that is a Chief's grade smoothbore flinter..
THEN maybe I try a swamped barrel in 38" -
So what ever ya do; take yer time and do it right - ain't no such things as " shortcuts " in good smokepole building !! :nono:
Winter well; and look good !!!
Limpin'frog :snore: :v :cursing:

Just went out to the Log Cabin Shop yesterday and bought parts to build a Vincent. It'll be a 40cal,7/8, 36" GM barrel. I got a stock blank from Dunlap's. This will be my next build. Ive just started a Bedford style flinter, so it'll be awhile yet. Good luck with yours.

Hank, ya won't be sorry with that barrel length ..
The 40 cal. in 7/8's will make a very accurate combo.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
These style of guns when done right make a nice, sleek rifle with good lines..
Is it that half stock with the poured pewter nosecap??? :confused:
Either half or full stock ; Vincents have an awesome look to them..
By the way - when I did mine I set it up for both flint and cussion..
Could switch from one to the other.. :bow: :bow:
You guys will have fun with these..
Winter well and look good
Limpin'frog :snore: :hmm: :) :snore:

One problem that I had was drilling the hole in the top of the butt plate. Even though I centerpunched before drilling, the drill wanted to walk on the convex surface. If possible, try to drill from the bottom, then the drill bit will center itself.

I ended up drilling out the screw hole and installing a wooden plug on the top of the butt about three times before I got the hole drilled in the right place. Needless to say, the buttplate installation was the most frustrating part for me. My three suggestions are read, read, and read from any of the building books suggested on this board. Good luck, you'll have fun with it.

bioprof said:
One problem that I had was drilling the hole in the top of the butt plate. Even though I centerpunched before drilling, the drill wanted to walk on the convex surface. If possible, try to drill from the bottom, then the drill bit will center itself.

I ended up drilling out the screw hole and installing a wooden plug on the top of the butt about three times before I got the hole drilled in the right place. Needless to say, the buttplate installation was the most frustrating part for me. My three suggestions are read, read, and read from any of the building books suggested on this board. Good luck, you'll have fun with it.

Amigos ...

May I make a suggetion ... do yourself a big favor and when trying to drill accurate holes .. use a centerdrill, a part holddown such as a clamp, and a drill press initially to drill a pilot hole, ... and then once the hole is established go to a regular drill bit.

Although they do sometimes move slightly ... they are so much more rigid and stay in place much better! You will be much happier believe me! Ask me how I know this? :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

xctrdrll.jpg

You can buy them at any reputable tool dealer .. or if you wish Ebay or Harbor Freight!

Just my two cents ...

Davy

LFrog, this will definetly be a half stock. I think they are about the sexiest little rifles I've ever seen. Since Green Mtn no longer makes a 7/8,40 in 36", I had to buy a 42" and I'll have to cut it down.

Hank,
There is nothing like a hacksaw halfway thru a barrel and having second thoughts! :rotf: :rotf:
God bless.
volatpluvia

2nd thoughts ??
Heck; that just starts to put my brain-pan in motion.. :yakyak:
Aren't ya supposed to use a chop saw or a cold chisel to cut the barrel ?? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Thanks for the tip about the center drill, Davy - that's a good idea.. :bow: :bow:
Winter well lads; and look good :shocked2:
Limpin'frog :snore: :) :snore:
" Wow; that looked like it hurt !!!"

Yeah. I got it at[url] www.trackofthewolf.com[/url] . The price is not bad and in the catalogue it sed that it was one of there easiest. I have a drill press for the holes that I can use it on and my cabinet making tools as well as an in-letting chisel set I got a while back. All I have to do now is wait. Forgot to add that mine will be half stock percussion and I will be doing the pewter nose cap as well. That's about the only part that bug's me about it. There is a post by Zonnie on how to do them here some where.

Last edited by a moderator:
3SD: You might be refering to this post:
CASTING A NOSECAP

Although it deals with CerroBend, the same idea and method applies to pewter.
The only real difference is the dams you build have to be able to take the high temperature of the material.

3 stinky dogs :
About the only thing I learned about the pouring of pewter was to be sure and coat the wood area before hand with the graphite from a pencil..
It seems to help the metal flow a little easier..
Works on tomahawk and knife handles too..
You'll be fine, you can do it !! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:
Just follow Zonie's advice and ya'll be walking on the sunny side of the street !!! :winking: :winking:
Hope this helps --
Winter well lads; and look good !!
Limpin'frog :snore: :) :grin: :snore:
" Gee; that looks like it hurt.!!! "

Back