• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

paper cartridges revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to make some paper cartridges for my ROA. I have made them before from scratch but would like to try cigarette papers. Does anyone know what papers to get? Are any or all of them nitrated? Also what weight works best?

thanks

Thanks for the site. I have made them before and they worked very well. The site gave me some new ideas though. The ease and quickness of the reload is a great help. I can make up a bunch of cartridges in the evening and avoid the hastle at the range or hunting.

Does anyone know a good substitute for a nipple pick? I find it hard to pay 3 or 4 bucks for a piece of wire.

Tea bags work and you don't get funny looks for buying bulk rolling papers. :thumbsup:

Well that's what it said. I always pricked the bags to make sure the fire is on the fast track. I have tried it but there are times when it doesn't. In a hunting situation I want to be sure.

Finally found the the book on paper cartridges.
Published by the Pioneer Press, only eight pages
long. Materials: 100% cotton, 16pound bond typing paper. Potassium Nitrate, one ounce bottle of Sodium Silicate(used for glue).
Two tablespoons potassium nitrate dissolved in one quart of warm water. soak sheet of typing paper in solution for a couple of hours, drain excess off the paper and hang sheet up to dry. The booklet go's on showing the mandrills required to make the cartridges and loading.

The title is: Self Consuming
Paper Cartridges
for the
Percussion Revolver

TF

Try Officemax or I found this site:[url] www.misterart.com[/url] Stock No. 9210018 Clearprint 1000H drafting vellum 18" x 5yd roll &6.90, don't know what shipping is but that quanity should last a long time. TF

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago I did the whole nine yards. I got the light weight paper, nitrated it and loaded a bunch of rounds. Sure makes it easy to reload. You do have to check the cylinders to make sure there isn't anything left. Just a little pick will clean it out. Or sometimes just dump it or blow it out.

Ok anyone know where you can get Potassium Nitrate? Now before you say the drug store I just called CVS and I think they thought I was a terrorist. They were very short with me and offered no help at all. Any ideas? Is this stuff that bad? I did get some before but can't remember where.

Ah, you speak of that which is forbidden here my friend but if you asked for 'saltpeter' they may be more friendly with a response. or you could dissolve some BP in a little H2O and strain then soak your paper in it then dry. I've never used the paper rounds but prolly a good idea. I carry powder charges in stoppered cartridge cases for quick reloads. and slugs in a plastic tube, 6 at a time.

Yeah I guess Potassium Nitrate is politicaly incorrect. Oh well sign of the times I guess. Funny though I can get a ton of it on Ebay. LOL

Like I said before I did this a few years ago and it worked pretty well. In a hunting situation probably not that important, but at the range it really helps move things along and makes it more enjoyable. I did a lot of the cartridge loading while watching TV.

I bought some cigarette papers this afternoon. That would get expensive real fast. It was almost 4 bucks for 24 papers.

Flash Paper works very well. You got to try it. [url] http://www.magical-tricks.com/Flash Paper.htm[/url]
If you like it you can make your own.

Tinker2

Last edited by a moderator:
Those cigarette papers would be a lot less expensive if you got the ones that didn't have tobacco rolled up in them. :rotf:

Seriously, I think they got to you. The ones I buy are "fully loaded" with tobacco and a filter and even paying over $1.40/pack tax they still cost less than the paper you bought.

As a kid I used to buy saltpeter at the hardware store. Maybe they still sell it. I may be out by a Southern States store today and will ask if they have it. Think it has farm uses, too.

There used to be a product for removing tree stumps. It was salt peter based. Drilled holes in stump let set for a long time untill the stuff want into the wood then burn the stump out. Check at a nursery for it. All you want to do is nitrate the paper so it will burn up. You do not need lab grade stuff. TF

Thumbs; don't make this more difficult than needed. First, the cap is strong enough to bust through newsprint and thin foil. I have used the foil on candy wrappers. The purpose of the nitrate paper is not so the flame of the cap will 'burn through" to the powder. You want nitrated paper so that it all burns up and there aren't any live embers left in the chamber.
Make a card board template to help you cut the cigarette paper to the proper size. The pattern is an isoceles trapazoid with a tab at the bottom. The long base of the trapazoid is on top and has the gummed edge on what will be the inside.
Cut out the paper and roll it on a wood dowell. You'll have to sand down a dowell to the proper size. Overlap the sides and glue them together with a glue stick. Fold the tab over the back and glue it in place. You now have a small paper case or cup. Pour in your powder charge, say 15-17 gr. FFFg Black powder and then add the bullet. Carefully wet the outside of the case over the gummed label. The moisture will go through the paper and activiate the glue which then sticks to the bullet. Set the just licked case aside for a minute or two to dry.
These cartridges are combustible so be careful, store them properly.

I will have to look around and see about the cig papers. They are just so much easier to do than cutting them out. That being said "I ain't payin that for the cig papers" I was really in a rush to try them out. I just went to the convience story knowing if they even had them I would get ripped. I wonder if Walmart has them?

Yeah I did this a while back and nitrated the papers from the get go. I couldn't remember if I tried them with out nitrating them to see how they burned. I didn't use cig paper then because of the expense. If the cig paper will burn up compleatly and I can get it cheap enough that would be fine. Running a in through the nipple to prick the paper makes the ignition a pretty sure thing. Again I can't remember how well they ignited without pricking the papers.
I have everything setup to make the things just need the pot.nitrate to do the papers.

Does anyone know what this stuff is use for if you were to ask for it over the counter in the pharmacy? I think last time it was something for the dog but again just can't remember. Saltpeter is used for something around the house.

I like the stick glue idea. I only plan to make the papers for the powder. I will put the wad and ball in as I load. The part I want to get rid of is measuring powder in the field.

Has anyone use cig papers for this and how do they burn? Do they burn up compleatly in the cylinder? If so what brand papers did you use?

I'm tellin you you need to at least try tea bags. you can get the cheap family size bags for less than two bucks and get four .44 cartidges out of each one. That's 96 cartridges for less than two bucks. They're stronger than cigarette paper and burn completely.

Back