• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifty cents a day for unskilled labor was Reedy's going rate for people hired to do work for him-not gun work. It was somewhat lower here in the deep South. I would think that the time required to save to pay for a firearm would be several weeks for a smoothbore to several months for aplain rifle. Enjoyed meeting you at Friendship last yr.-my first time up

I would think that the time required to save to pay for a firearm would be several weeks for a smoothbore to several months for aplain rifle.
Well then, things havn't changed much. A fellow could do the same thing today.

jl said:
Fifty cents a day for unskilled labor was Reedy's going rate for people hired to do work for him-not gun work. It was somewhat lower here in the deep South. I would think that the time required to save to pay for a firearm would be several weeks for a smoothbore to several months for aplain rifle. Enjoyed meeting you at Friendship last yr.-my first time up
For the guy who was lucky enough to find a paying job. The economy was about 90% agricultural and homesteading farmers didn't hire a lot of employees nor had spare time to hire themselves out. Not much cash money floating around on the frontier and basic necessities took most of it.
Folks today have a much higher percentage of "expendable income" than in the 19th century.

Guess you would have had to so some hunting and trapping and sell or trade your skins and pelts to get a rifle..... :v

Stumpkiller said:
rebelyell62 said:
As someone said many years ago......we must all hang together or we will all surely hang separatly.

Wasn't that Britain's Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in 1938 when he signed the treaty with Adolph Hitler?

No..........the actual quote is "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." made by Benjamin Franklin at the signing of the Declaration of Independence

Back