• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica Tenn. Mtn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy82

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well... I started out looking at their Late Lancaster or Dickert, but I am leaning more and more towards the Tenn. Mtn. rifle that they offer. Less complicated carving, which is good for me because I'm just getting started. Plus the more I look at it the more I like the lines of their finished model. However I have a few questions before I decided to lay down some cash.

They say that it is a 15-1/2" pull which is long for me. I am more around 14, I would prefer maybe even 13 to 13-1/2" to allow for heavy clothing and coats. Would it be terribly difficult to take it down a little and then just "modify" the butt plate to fit?

People who have experience with this company, do you know if I can omit the barrel from the order and get a different barrel from a different company? Looking at Rice.

This is more of a style question. For a Tenn. Mtn. Is it horribly inaccurate to have a shorter tang then the "lollipop" that comes standard? I've read in other posts that the lollipop can be difficult for people just getting starting.

I got a Tennessee mountain of Pecatonica for my second build. I think you wouldnt have a problem altering the butt plate a bit, thereby altering the pull length. Dont worry about the lolly tang its ok i found, you could consider the straight tang also on offer.
I have the standard green mountain barrel in mine they would probarbly let the have the kit less a barrel as long as they dont have to fit your barrel.
Dick and his son doug are really great people ring them and talk it through. They may get and fit a rice barrel for you. They are very helpfull.
Remember go slow when you are building it cos you have to live with the result forever after unless you sell it. Cant seem to sell em myself even if i think about it greif kicks in i become morose and a real pain to live with, the wife wont hear of me selling them! Fantastic eh. (amazing what a well timed depression can do for your collection. :wink:

Don't know about the pc of the tang, but as to your other questions, call Pecatonica and ask him. He'll be glad to help.

The standard stock from Pecatonica comes with the Barrel channel cut and ramrod hole drilled. Then from there it depends on which parts you buy from them and have them inlet. You generally have extra stock length and butt that you can trim to your dimensions. I got a Late lancaster and am keeping the adornments minimal, more like a Tennessee with brass hardware.As stated on their website they don't intend to sell "kit" guns. Rather high quality parts that you will need to fit.

You can buy and omit any part you want. Also if your not sure about cutting for the butt plate, they will cut to contour of your butt plate at the LOP you tell them. It won't be exact but it will be close. Tell them the LOP you want and I think they charge $25.00 for doing that service.

To the best of my knowledge, the stocks Dick sells all show a "pull length" of around 15 to 15 1/2 inches. That doesn't mean the butt is trimmed to mount a butt plate at that length. It means there is enough extra wood left on the butt to allow a builder to mount a butt plate at that "pull" if he/she desired.
The butt of the stock as received is just the end of the board that the stock was carved from.

Check out[url] www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com[/url] Troy has a sale on Tennessee precarves, including ones cut for swamped barrels. He's clearing out some overstock, and for $125 you will be getting a 3 to 400 dollar stock. It's the best deal out there. Give him a call and he can set you up with what you want. Just remember that this style rifle should have a nn english style lock, and were predominately straight barreled. Keep yer head down, and stay safe over there.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
"a nn english", should have been an English style. Fat fingered two finger typist.
Some of these are Chambers late Ketland, Durs Egg, Davis Late English, or the Maslin. They were English export locks that were popular in the South,as most of the gunsmiths down there were of English ancestory, there are no Germanic style locks on original Southern Mountian rifles known to exsist. Troy is great to deal with if only for the stock, as you will be getting extra value, as he will send the best quality stock he has in that size of his closeout stocks, many are grade four and five.

Bill

Back