• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli double choke repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_tree

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
Wondering if any one has got any ideas about how to rectify a problem with a second hand gun I have picked up.
It was a full/full double that the previous owner has wanted a little less choke in and has used some coase sand paper to sand the first inch of each bore. :(
This has left a horrible finish, anyone got a any tried and tested methods of polishing ?

Cheers
Ben

Haven't done it myself, but I've had gunsmiths open the chokes on several cartridge guns. Results varied with the skill and equipment of the individual smith. After one had kind of cobbled the job and left a lot of tool marks, I gave it to another who first reamed the barrel just slightly, then polished it. Looks like new, but the choke is a little more open than I had originally wanted. You may have to resort to a smith for similar treatment. One name has resurfaced from the memory banks: Briley. They convert fixed-choke guns to interchangeable chokes, and as I recall they are the ones who did the cleanup on the mess I had.

You can probably use a brake cylinder hone, as I've done several chokes with one, switching to glued-on emery cloth in various grades for the final finish.
; The stone will probbly be all you'll need. Get the small one, as there is one that's too big, even for 12 bore, I believe.
; The other way, is to remove both chokes entirely by cutting the barrels off, and reinstalling the front sight.
; This way, you'll have a gun that will shoot Imp/Cyl patterns to Modified patterns depending on your loads, as well as dong a credible job with patched round balls from one or both barrels.
: Personally, I'd be tempted to the cutting method, just to expand the useage of the gun with patched round ball.
: Of course, you couold always send ti to someone with the proper choke reamers. Clymer will sell them to you as well. All you have to do is to measure up your tubes, and buy the reamer that will clean up the marks - or do it by hand wiht the electric drill and brake cylinder hone. Use WD40 for a cutting fluid with the hone - it works well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Collected together a few polishing tools and will be heading out to the pattern board with them at the weekend to see what I can do.
Cheers
Ben

Back