• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brubincam

62 Cal.
Reaction score
-----I looked at a pedersoli rocky mountain hawkins once but don't remember how much printing was stamped on the barrel--cabelas is over an hour away and with gas prices I don't want to drive that far just to see the printing on the barrel-remember I loved the rifle but don't want to pay 1,ooo for one with writing all over it--any one have one and how do you like it-----

I think I have just the rifle you describe although mine was previously owned by a mountain man buff, who let it 'go natural' long ago. He may have also filed the markings off the barrel for authenticity's sake.

SF54RT-1.jpg

I "Santa Fe" up at a pawn shop last week for a song. Early indications are that it's really going to be a shooter, too.

It was a stroke of luck for me, Davy. I've drooled over the Pedersoli's like this one, JMB Mountain rifles and the Dixie Santa Fe; but the fact is that I simply couldn't have dropped a grand on one.

I don't mind that fact that it's 'worn in' either, as long as it shoots- and this one does.

Rubincam, I think you will really like these rifles if you get one.

I agree, that the Pedersoli is nice, but is in or near the custom gun price range. I would keep shopping around for a deal, or custom gun.

I also have two Great Plains Rifles by Lyman, and they are pretty nice too!

The Santa Fe Hawken was made by Uberti, and sold through multiple suppliers.

Here is mine, and I love it! Sure turns heads!

Picture013-2.jpg

Beautiful rifle, Mule. Y'all are making me want another one with pretty fiddle-back wood on it.

The lettering can be eliminated using a rounded punch to punch around the periphery of each letter, closing the gaps in the lettering.

Finish off with light file work and refinish.

This has nothing to do with the Pedersoli Santa Fe and everything to do with making the lettering disappear:

Lyman's GPR has bunches of lettering, but when I was finishing a kit I draw filed the whole barrel with 220, lowering the raised parts of the lettering in the process, but making no effort to get rid of it entirely. You could still see it when I was done. But in the process of browning with LMF, it filled and disappeared completely. I'm not talking a whole lot of draw filing here- just enough to rough up the surface of the barrel so the browning would take. Food for thought if you don't like the lettering when you get one.

On the price, I'd definitely shop around if you're willing to wait and search. I handled a Santa Fe and it is a dandy, but I couldn't quite bring myself to make the dive for new prices. It paid off for me recently. I picked up a GRRW 58 cal Hawken for $850, and it looks much like Mule Brain's Santa Fe, but with a 36" barrel. Outrageous fiddleback throughout with superb inletting and detail work. Best of all, it shoots like nobody's business. In my mind I couldn't have bought the parts, including high grade wood and a premium barrel for that price, and I sure couldn't have done such great woodwork, so I'm happy. But I watched for two years to find the right rifle at the right price.

Can you wait that long?

-----I would rather have one in 58 but don't like the TC rifles--have one in 45 and haven't used it since 1980-----

All the writing is on the left barrel flat, to the rear of the rear sight. There is a small square box with a CA in it, , there is a small circle with PN under the circle, there is a small symbol of some type, the serial number, the Pedersoli trade mark, followed by (which is 2 lines) Pedersoli ”“ Italy Cal.54 Black Powder Only

From end to end of the markings on the barrel is 3 7/8” long and the writing is centered on the barrel flat.

I like the rifle, it is accurate. I have the walnut stock and for the price I would have expected more figure in the wood.

It is a well made rifle.

RDE

rubincam said:
-----I looked at a pedersoli rocky mountain hawkins once but don't remember how much printing was stamped on the barrel--cabelas is over an hour away and with gas prices I don't want to drive that far just to see the printing on the barrel-remember I loved the rifle but don't want to pay 1,ooo for one with writing all over it--any one have one and how do you like it-----

Hey Rubincam-

Just saw this over in the ads at ALR, and thought you would be interested:

Rifle ”“ .53 Cal. Western Arms percussion rifle - Santa Fe Hawken, 32” barrel, browned iron furniture, walnut stock, original box, wife’s rifle and was shot very little, excellent condition, these rifles are getting hard to find, I also have a Lyman .526 s/c mold that I will include with the rifle - $570.00 + $40.00 S&I

8738Pc040004.jpg

1985 model Santa Fe. .53 barrel. The picture didnt show the figure in the stock but its there. Finished with AF and about 30 coats of BLO and beeswax. It is very accurate. I have the L&R Gemmer 5 step rear sight on it.

I have 2 other Santa Fe's, a .54 and a .50.

rubincam said:

I just received a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken from Flintlocks Etc, didn't spend $1000 for it, the only printing on the barrel is the proof marks, the serial number, Pedersoli-Italy CAL.54 and black powder only. This is all on the left side and is 4" long. Hope this helps.

rubincam said:
-----flintlocks etc doesn't have price listings--how much are they-----
http://www.flintlocksetc.com

Flintlocks, Etc.
PO Box 181
Richmond, MA 01254
Phone: (413) 698-3822
Fax: (413) 698-3866
Email: [email protected]
Contact Richard Beauchamp or anyone there and ask for the price, maple is much higher than walnut.

I had heard that Pedersolis were going up in price as everything else is....... :cursing:

sixbull

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know it you are still interested but I recently bought a Pedersoli 54 cal Hawken. I am very pleased with the rifle after two outings. Specifically to your question. The stamping in the barrel is on the 10 o'clock flat between the rear sight and patented breech- first the serial number- eight characters about 3/16 high. Then on two lines- "Pedersoli- Italy Cal .54" below that it says "black powder only". The two rows of letters are each about 1/8" high. First time out and not having shot a gun in 40 years I shot 5" group at 50 yds (I could be good if I could see both sights and the target), Hope the above helps, Oops after finishing this I saw other posts sorry for duplication. I paid roughly $700 so $1,000 is way high.

Back