• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli info?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will itbe effective at 30 yds on a duck? What about a goose or swan where a head shot is crucial. Will it pattern tight enough?

The pattern is the key. It might, it might not. Brownbear is using a good load of #4 shot. I wouldn't use anything smaller on Ducks.

As for geese and swans, head shot? I've never experienced a need for a head shot, but I was shooting #2 or BB's in steel, and a 1.25 ounce load from a full choke is pretty dense at 60 yards.

As for WAA12 wads, yes they are still made, and under no circumstances use plastic, Winchester wads with black powder alone. I made standard shotshells with moderate black powder loads of 60 and 70 grains of 2Fg for Cowboy Action Shooting, and the plastic of the Winchester WAA12 wads melted into the bore, and were a Bįŧƈȟ to get clean. That's when I learned that the benzine in the original Hoppe's No.9 dissolved the plastic residue, and in the early days of cordite and black powder shells this was why it became so popular. IF you use plastic, use a wad between the plastic cup and the powder.

LD

Normally, they have #11 nipples. Occasionaly, you may run across one which has had the nipples changed to musket nipples. If yours has had musket niples put on it, I'd change them back to #11 nipples. Musket caps are not necessary and cost a lot more. Does your shotgun have screw in chokes? Some of the Pedersoli shotguns did. If you do, you can use them to control your shot pattern just as on a modern shotgun. If it is a cylinder bore, and many are made that way, you can control your pattern somewhat by the way you load your shot. There is a way you can easily make paper shot cups that will tend to tighten your pattern. You can use modern shotcups and many folks do but if you prefer to avoid modern shotcups, send me a PM and I will tell you how to make easy and effective paper shotcups.

Pedersoli chokes are a gripe to find and are expensive. If your gun's bore is threaded for a choke, you must use a choke of some kind even if it is a cylinder bore choke. If you don't, it is possible to screw up the threads and you will have a hell of a time ever getting a choke to screw in. You would probably have to take it to a gunsmith and have him chase the threads to get the lead and gunk out so a choke will screw in.

My cylx cyl Peder' takes duck to 30yds too.

Not done it but would try a goose at the same distance....if my 410 can do it I don't see why a cloud of smallish shot won't from my Peder'!

B.

Man you guys are settin a fire under my hiney. Can't wait to start shooting these guns and killing birds. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm now thinkong about buying a .20 ga for dove and small game. And a 10 ga for big birds. I will def check out the listing that was posted. Its nice thaso many are Willi g to help. I will definitely pass this knowledge and hopefully inspire a youth

Body checked a goose many times and they seem to act as if it were a mere discomfort

Body checked a goose many times and they seem to act as if it were a mere discomfort

Thank bill and other members y'all are getting me.prepared wne I feel this may become another passion

Brad H said:

for true!

I was in the bow seat of a lightweight eight, rowing at full pressure down the Schuylkill River (Philadelphia) and I felt a huge thunk through my oar handle ... glanced over to see that i'd just clocked a goose ... who was really furious, and was coming up out of the water at us ... i'd have thought that being struck in the head with the thin edge of a twelve- odd foot oar would have done him in, but his agenda was (or so it appeared) to return the favor ... he chased the boat for several hundred meters with a great display of flapping wings and bad language ...

tough critters, those geese

:v :eek:ff

Just thot id mention that if you are going to shoot true steel shot then a plastic shot cup is mandatory to avoid inner barrel damage, you can buy bp steel shot wads from precision reloading, i think someone here knows which ones they are... I have a ped. dbl 12 w / screw in chokes, i use stiff cardboard or leather wads, pinch em a little and they go in thru the chokes w/ out much truble. I like the versatility of the screw ins, but i am in the minority. Scott

Yep. Them geese are some tough dudes! Sometimes they take a lot of killin' to get em' down.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back