• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli pennsylvania rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thor40 said:
Is TVM considered a semi-custom? I am drawn towards the Early Virginia.
I would call it a semi-custom. You get choice of several grades of wood, barrel length, length of pull, type of hardware. I love my early Virginia and consider it well worth the price. I would certainly pay $1,000 to $1,200 for a TVM before I would pay list for a Pedersoli. Just my humble opinion.

The thing of it is, is that if you walked out of the woods in 1800, into town with that Pedersoli in hand everyone would recognize you had a flintlock rifle in your hands.
And not look out of place like you had three eyeballs in your head.
Isn’t that HC/PC enough? It is for me.

"Isn’t that HC/PC enough? It is for me.'

You could carry a TC Firestorm and they could tell it was a flintlock if they got close enough

How high or low the bar is set for using different guns is up to the individual, whether they are reasonable replicas generic or specific is a matter of fact based on comparing originals and todays offerings, the gun in question could work for post 1800, war of 1812/Alamo by most anyones interpretation of PC/HC, for the Rev War period it would not be PC/HC, there is no PC/HC "enough", something either is or is not for a given item at a given time/place in history.A gun can be "good enough for me" but still not be PC/HC by the accepted standards, this is the "talking a gun into the history books comes into play" once more we are not talking about good and bad here just a degree of commonality with guns of the past to qualify at a certain level of authenticity acceptable to the "communitys" established norms.

Hey Micanopy I hought they may not have a cheekpiece, I had a Navy Arms that was almost the same shape with a 35" barrel that did not have one either, it was a great shooter, I put a .40 GM barrel on it and hunted Deer for several years with it, did the RMFT outfit with it knowing it was a bit small in cal. and not the most common type gun in the Rockies, but it to could pass muster for the post 1800 thing, well I guess I will hand this back to the more knowledgable folks amongst us, maybe we can learn a bit more........
:idunno:

the pedersoli frontier rifle is an exact copy of the hatfield rifle which ted hatfield built and marketed. If you read the story of the hatfield you will find that the rifle he built was a copy of an orignal. from what time period the rifle he copied was not stated and modern production methods were used in order to make it affordable to the general public. I owned one from cabales and it was dead accurate and went off ever time

This is true but no one has ever seen/published the "original" which was supposedly used as a pattern.

Zonie really has a good idea, it is best to get some homewrok inder a persons belt before judging what is and isn't close to the originals, it would cut te volume in this type of thread by half.I have noticed that most of the more learned builders/gun students have stayed out of this one this time, probably a wise choice to avoid an effort in futility.

Frontiers are good rifles. I prefer the kentucky from pedersoli because I have one, not that I wouldnt want a frontier, just dont have one. Working on getting a trade gun as my next flinter.

TG If I remember correctly the Navy Arms replica and the Pedersoli Replica Kentucky are about the same rifle, very generic form. Good rifles and near proper for after 1810 but not really there for 1700s.

I think they were cut from the same mold so to speak, I gave 75 bucks for a used one about 15 years ago and put a .40 GM barel on it, was a fun gun but definately 19th century in style, mine was also a caplock...so far we don't have anyone trying to put those into the 1700's :grin:

Thor 40 I have a TVM Earley Viginia .54. Used it for the last 5 years. Great Rifle if I had it to do over I would go with a up grade on my wood. You can place a $100 deposit and pay the rifle off over the year wait.

Back