• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brubincam

62 Cal.
Reaction score
what are your opinions of pedersoli barrels.the rifling doesnt seem very deep to shoot patched balls.looks more like for shooting connicals or minnies...id think the barrel would kake up to much between shots.i dry swab every 2 shots ,,,just want opinions ....THANKS.... :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Which Pedersoli barrels are you talking about? I know that their Frontier/Blue Ridge barrels are excellent shooters with rd. balls. And with Goex 3f i could fire 10-15 shots easy without wiping the bore, depending on the weather and humidity.

Deep rifling does not a make a shooter. The most accurate ML I ever owned was a shallow groove TC HAWKEN caplock, in .45. I loaded a .451 ball over a .010 cotton flannel patch and got consistant 1/2" groups at 50yrds and sometimes tighter, with Marbles open iron sights. I sold one to a preacher once that would do 3/8" consistantly. The Pedersolis I have looked at have an impressive bore, but I also have seen a few bent barrels. It's the rest of the gun that bothers me with Pedersoli. Mainly the poor work in their locks. I do not care for the barrels in their minnie ball military copies. These often run on the rough and oversize side.

Dry swabbin' a dirty barrel is a good way to get a ramrod stuck :rolleyes:

My Pedersoli Kodiak .58 shot round balls just fine. In fact, Thompson Center Hawkens have very shallow rifling and they do OK with round balls too.

if i dry swab every 2 shots i dont have a problem with ramrod sticking
:says:

Well, whatever works for you. I usually run both sides of a wet one up and down, then both sides of a dry one. :m2c:
But back to the Pedersoli barrels. Have never heard of any complaints about accuracy.

I have a pedersoli barrel in .38 cal that I built , no real copy of anything, it's short and compact with a 11" trigger pull it fits the wife like a glove, and I have another .38 barrel just waiting for some other project ,the rifleing is shallow but the wife gets good accuracy with it , she has to brush out the barrel before she uses a wet patch it really seems to work well. bb75

Just took my blue ridge .50 flinter out for a quick twenty ball shooting session today. When I first bought the rifle the first 25-50 shots I could only shoot .010 patches without having to wipe every other shot.

After the discovery of Stumpy's magical milk concoction ( :hatsoff: to the Stumpkiller)and breaking the barrel in I can shoot for a good while with .018 pillow ticking, .490 ball and 70 Gr. 3F without swabbing at all. I think the highest I have gone is 30 shots, and fouling still wasn't too bad.

I can consistently keep all my balls in a group approx. 1.5-2" at 50 yds which is no reflection on the gun, more the operator. I think I could also improve on this with a finer front sight and more flint practice.

-swank

No complaints about the barrel/rifling/accuracy of my Pedersoli 45 cal flint Kentucky.

I usually wet-swab (spit on patch) between rounds.

groucho1s.gif

He said the magic word!

Stumpy's Moose Milk

A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using. Can be allowed to dry on dipped patching for a dry lube.

Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

Add ingredients in that order & shake well to mix ( I mix & store it in a 2 liter soda bottle).

My friend has flintlock Pedersoli Frontier cal..50. Some times we shoot at a box of cigarettes from 75 meters. He never miss :winking:

MY Blue Ridge has a Pedersoli barrel and from what I have seen and read about they are a very good patch round ball barrel. I believe they are of Italian make. Mine shoots a .490 with .012 patch and 80 gr. 2F. :results:puts 3 shots touching @ 50 yards off the bench. Now conicals out of this is a whole other story. :eek:ff:

Back