• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep/globe combo for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filed my front post down a lot. Probably less than half of its original width. We’ll see how much of a difference it makes

peep/globe set-up is what Lyman built their company on. A globe front sight with a post is a legal 'open' sight per NMLRA rules. The arrangement works for some shooters but not others.

Here in OK we are allowed to hunt deer until 30 minutes after sunset. i've killed a large number of deer and hogs after sunset. One rifle has a Williams peep sight and a steel Skinner front sight with a dab of white paint. The others have open sights.

Most of my hunting is from stands and blinds overlooking game plots, game trails, wheat fields and ponds. Some hunting is from a folding lawn chair.

The sights are much clearer with the setting sun at the hunters back. i've moved stands to take advantage of the setting sun and the afterglow of the set sun.

I have been hunting with a Lyman 57sml peep and 17aml globe with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts for well over 15 years. The areas I hunt range from open desert to heavy timber. With deep canyon and bare mountain tops thrown in.
Peep sights and globes are not the best in every situation, I'm not going to tell you they are.
What I will say is I have painted the inside of my globes white to help increase light. I added a picture with one of the painted one's.
Over the years my early mornings and late evenings are spent looking for game at long range. Spot and stalk is my go to. That said I have shot many animals in very low light with a peep and globe. Your eye will line up the rear and front sight. In those cases even if I can't see the insert I allow my eye to line it up. These shots have been very close like under 50 yards. All have been successful.
The down side for me doesn't outweigh the benefits. Being able to dial in yardage never having to hold over or under is huge benefit for me.
Once I take the range and dial it in all that is left is to execute the shot.
I honestly don't feel that using the sights for a couple hunts is a fair test of sights but if someone doesn't like them that's their choice.

Someone mentioned not hunting right up to dark. I have to hand it to them. They know their boundaries and that is okay. When faced with a shot at an elk on a ridge with down timber on the sides I passed the shot. To me me this is more of a sign that the person knows their limitations.
I hunt mostly alone. I'm not chasing an elk or even a deer into nasty brush or down timber right at dark.

Attachments

• Upgrade 2.jpg
    Upgrade 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 58
I just added a Lee Shaver globe and Lyman 57 SML to my Missouri River hawken for hunting. Still need to adjust the shims to get more elevation. But I'm sure it'll be a good rig.

I was struggling with traditional sites on my Hawken so I replaced the rear site with a peep. I removed the insert from the peep and now basically have a ghost peep with a blade front site and love it. I can hunt right up to quitting time.

@saddletramp2698 What rear peep sight did you put on your Hawken, manufacturer, model?

Thin front blade , tang mounted. peep on long rife. Range or field , I can shoot well again , long as there's light. Passed up a shot at a nice buck this season due to inability to see him , or the sights , well enough. Can still , at 75 , eviscerate a deer blind folded. Working on a deer requires a surgical sharp blade . the knife should employ a nonslip handle and 6" blade or larger to cut through the rib cartilage along the sternum. That prevents getting more than one hand , excessively bloody. Practice , practice ,practice........oldwood

I have a Lyman GPR percussion 54 and a tang peep sight. It is fun at the range but almost useless for hunting in thick Maine woods. Unscrewing the disc does help, though. And I agree with others that hunting late is a real PITA. If whitetails were scarce it would be a different story, naturally. But where I live there are plenty of deer and my land is posted. So hunting is more of a harvesting rather than marksmanship and woods craft.
I usually take a TC Hawken into the woods as it has open sights. The GPR is for fun and my favorite. My area has so many deer that I could have got three this year. But it's now just me and the wife so there's no need for more than one.

Hello,
I’m new to this community and Iv seen the term”Unmentionables” or “unmentionable firearms” a bunch of times.
Are you guys referring too modern cartridge type firearms or inline black powder??
Thank you.
Thomas

I've used peep sights a lot in the deer woods. I learned early on to remove the aperture for a "ghost ring". In the open an aperture works but in shadowed woods it doesn't let in enough light. One of my ML rifles has a globe front with different inserts for aiming. If you think a different sight might work for you then go for it.

I have a Hawken with a Lyman rear peep and a globe front, and I don't think I could shoot more accurately with any other MZ I own !! I've tried all kinds of sights over the years for hunting and matches, and this combo has turned out to be the best for either task. I guess some folks have better luck with glowing red sights and stuff like that, but not me !!

Put this williams peep on a month back. No front globe just a blade. Haven't shot it yet. I like peeps. Age is old. But not real sure as this setup is for me. Ugly isn't it. UGH.!

Attachments

• peep.JPG
    peep.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 21
Put this williams peep on a month back. No front globe just a blade. Haven't shot it yet. I like peeps. Age is old. But not real sure as this setup is for me. Ugly isn't it. UGH.!
I think you will be really surprised at the precision you can get out of it. You might be happier with a different front sight to go with it also.....

It really comes down to your eyesight and whether a few extra minutes of seeing the sights well in low light is important to you when hunting. It is also all about finding sights that give a decent compromise between fine aiming, but big enough to be visible in low light when hunting.
Many say a globe on the front is not very good in low light conditions. I have never tried one. I did struggle to see the factory front sight on my Renegade in low light, nail polish on the tip did help slightly though. I found chartreuse green and good old white to be the best colors for me.
I've shot archery for years and really like fiber optic sights. But archery sights come in much smaller sizes. I'd love to have a .029" F.O. front sight to try on my rifle.
I put a Williams ghost ring setup on my Renegade a few years ago. The ghost ring has two green F.O. dots on each side of it and I really like it, but the front sight has a red F.O. dot that is too big for my preference, somewhere around .060"-.080" diameter. I learned of a place called Ranger Point Precision that offers 3/8ths dovetail sights in red or green F.O., and a smaller .040" diameter. I've never found F.O. rifle sights that small anywhere else. I bought a green one and replaced my red Williams front sight with it, it is much better size wise and green shows up much better for me. It even improved my groups since it didn't cover up so much of the target. It did require quite a bit of filing before it fit on my Renegade.
In Idaho we can hunt from a half hour before sunup to a half hour after sundown, and F.O. sights easily allow me to be able to see them within that time frame and even beyond. I run into the problem, especially if in timber, of the animal being nothing more than a blob and I can't comfortably take the shot because of that rather than because I can't see my sights well.
I have tossed around the idea of just getting a flat topped 3/8th's dovetail sight and then drilling a hole through the length of the top. It would have to have some of the top filed down to the drilled portion so the F.O. rod would have more light gathering. I would drill it for a .029" fiber optic rod, or perhaps even a .019" rod, and then glue it in place. One of these days I'm going to try this.

Latest posts

Back