• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion firing question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrader

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it possible for a percussion rifle (Loaded .54 renegade) to fire off when the hammer falls without a percussion cap being on the nipple??

No documented facts but in my opinion it is just about impossible.

Hardened steel hitting hardened steel will not produce sparks.

If a grain or two of black powder were on top of the nipple and the hammer hit it the powder will not ignite. It will just be smashed to dust.

The only situations that I can think of that could fire the gun is:
1. If some of the priming fulminate from a removed cap was still stuck to the top of the nipple it could detonate and cause the gun to fire.

2. If a grain of sand were sitting on top of the nipple or on the face of the hammer when it fell that could produce a spark that might get thru the small nipple hole and fire the gun.

Any other ideas are more than welcome. :)

I didn't think it could happen but I figured I would ask the experts..I bought 4 renegades and I ran patches and oiled the brls and put them up for sale..I sold all of them and one guy called me saying the one I sold him was loaded when he received it.. :shocked2: I had used my range rod when I cleaned them all and looked down the brls with my light (Saw nothing)..I will always use the ramrod to measure the brl and run it down the brl to make sure they are not loaded from now on..(A little late for that now)....I always remove the nipples to make sure they are not stuck or anything.I also look up inside the hammer to make sure it doesn't have any rust etc.I always check the hammer/Trigger function but I use a piece of rubber to cover the nipple when I dry fire them so as not to beat up the nipple..Anyway he said he cocked it and dropped the hammer and it went off in his house..First off if it was loaded it had been loaded for over a year since the guy I bought it from hadn't shot it in well over a year and I had never shot it either..I don't have any reason not to believe the guy that said it went off on him but I just can't figure out how it could go off without a cap installed :idunno: Needless to say I was VERY embarrassed and very apologetic and know he was embarrassed and lucky someone didn't get hurt thank god.. Anyway,That is the reason for the question..

It did to me too but It scared the SH#% out of me when he called and said it happened though..I know one thing for sure,There will never be another one come in or go out without being 1000% sure it is not loaded and at least I will know for sure :thumbsup:

If he knew what he was doing, he would not have droped the hammer on a nipple. That deforms them and only real rookies do it on purporse. He should have also checked it to verify that it was not loaded himself. This does sound fishie

P

I agree with Jonesy. Sounds like a cover story. Likely called you in front of his wife to make it look good :shake: Shame on him :youcrazy:

So... basically he "let the hammer drop" a bit too pre-maturely... and his wife called him on it... and he blamed YOU. nice... :doh:

Maybe :idunno: ,He said "I didn't even put a #11 cap on it" and it went off..I am just glad no one was hurt..He said he has a hole in his drier and his wall though..I just can't see how it would fire without him putting a cap on it but anything is possible I guess..

You should have chewed him out for not checking to make sure the gun was unloaded before he cocked the hammer.

Remember the old adage, "The Gun Is Always Loaded until you check to make sure it is unloaded".

Anyway, I'm going to strongly suggest that on these guns with easily removed barrels that you do so before cleaning them.
I'm assuming the Renegades are like TC's other guns and have a hooked breech.
Even if they don't it isn't that hard to remove a tang screw and a barrel wedge (or pins).

Had you removed the barrel and the nipple and dunked the breech into a bucket of water. Then using a wet cleaning patch on a jag, pumped it up and down in the barrel until water flowed out of the muzzle, you would know the barrel was unloaded.

Then when he tries to blame you for his own screw up you could say, "No Way. That barrel had nothing but air and rust preventative oil in it when it left my house."

Fred, I don't know what to say! :shocked2:

Something as simple as "dropping a rod" into a used rifle would have resulted in locating a loaded rifle. Especially a good metal range rod that makes a "twang" when it hits the breech.

Zonie already covered the cleaning aspects.

For your own peace of mind, slow down with turning stuff around! And you might want to look into some sort of rider on your homeowners insurance for a home business after you form a LLC. Then most of what you've invested in this hobby is a tax-deductible business expense. Hopefully this guy who allegedly blew-away his dryer won't sue you for negligence.

Take a DEEP BREATH and do the right thing......

Dave

I don't buy it! The first thing I do when I buy a rifle or as a matter of fact just checking one out I drop the ramrod down the barrel to make sure it's not loaded. Same with a CF I open the action. He could have loaded it and was too embarassed to admit it to his wife! When I was young (a gajillion years ago) my uncle got a new rifle and said I could check it out as it was not loaded, my Dad opened the action and out popped a loaded round. You never know, always consider a firearm loaded!

The famous first rule of gun safety: TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF IT'S LOADED!

Open 'er up and lay 'er down! :thumbsup:

I bought a percussion barrel off eBay some time ago and it came loaded. I called the fellow and told him he had mailed a loaded barrel. I was also apologetic and embarrassed. Funny thing the description said it “appeared unfired” so that part may have been true!

smokin .50 said:

:surrender: So very true I have had about as many loaded guns as unloaded ones brought to me for repairs. :surrender:

ohio ramrod said:
smokin .50 said:

:surrender: So very true I have had about as many loaded guns as unloaded ones brought to me for repairs. :surrender:

True story:

Many years ago a widow brought-in an old gun to the local Police Dept. Her husband had passed and she no longer wanted the firearm in the house, so she came in with the revolver in her hand bag. When the cop behind the Sgt.'s desk asked where she had put the gun, she reached into her hand bag and pulled-out a fully-loaded and cocked 1873 .45LC original Colt Peacemaker and as she swept the entire area around the Sgt. desk, all of the cops were hitting the deck and kissing the linoleum :haha: . From underneath the desk, the Sgt. asked her to place it on the table across from his desk with the barrel pointed towards the wall! At least she knew what a barrel was, from watching the TV! No one got hurt and she wasn't taken into custody.........and this was in the days prior to CCTV in use! The Sarge wound-up with a nice six-gun!

So yes, Virginia, that gun can be fired!

Dave :shocked2:

I go to a lot of shows and seems like every show there is at least one gun show up at the gun check desk loaded..They unload it and turn the owner around and tell them they are never to come back to any of there shows..I was sitting about 30' from a guy he removed a glock .40 from the owners box he had in his hand and proceeded to give it a look..He then placed the muzzle against the palm of his left hand and pulled the trigger blowing his ring finger knuckle away..The bullet hit the floor went to pieces hitting 4 or 5 other people..He said just before going into shock "You have to pull the trigger before ya can take it apart"..He was correct but you are supposed to open the slide and see that there is nothing in the chamber first...

Anyway,when I shipped him the renegade I use 2 separate box's..One containing the Brl and one with the stock so there is no chance of the 2 getting together and damaging anything..I tape the 2 box's together and ship them as one pkg..
I don't know if it was loaded or not (For Sure) but I know there is not one of the 27 I have here is loaded now :thumbsup:

Back