• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period correct rangefinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about we put a 12" gong up anywhere from the muzzle to 500 yards.

I'm willing to bet money I'm on it before 99% of the people can even get close. My wedge is quite proven.

My friend has the same rifle set up differently. He asked about the wedge. He ranged a coffee can sized rock at 290 yards....and I smacked it first shot.

He now wants to build a wedge.
Sorry wasn’t picking on the idea. Just a bad Bogart reference to Treasure of Sierra Madre

I give up, just how did these work?
You sight through the pie slice and when a 6' man fills the height say at the 200 yard mark, he is 200 yards away.
The one I posted the guy has the other side marked out correlating to the height of a deer.
I'm not sure how accurate you can be with them. Nothing like a laser range finder I'm sure.

I once read a history of the Waterloo campaign
The book covered tactics weapons communication and politics.
It had little blocks of side information. And one was range findings. The farther you are the harder it is to estimate range.
Close ain’t too easy always either.
Tricks like how far one can make out cross straps and hats from faces and so on. Can you see the flag, can you see the pole

I recall reading that one of Napoleon's junior officers got a big in-the-field promotion by correctly estimating the width of a river they needed to cross. He adjusted his cap so the brim aligned with the edge of the far bank, then smartly did an about-face and marched away from the river to "that spot" on the shore side that aligned with the hat brim.

If I recall, he was very accurate -- hence his instant promotion -- but I'd guess it only works if you don't raise your head and the land behind you has to be as flat as the river's surface.

Old No7

I use a nifty laser range finder. It has never let me down!
Yeah, but period correct? It sorta reminds me of the story I heard about a person who attended a demonstration of the new wonder by Thomas Edison, his electric light bulb. Afterwards he asked Edison, "Marvelous! but how do you get the lamp oil through them tiny wires?

You sight through the pie slice and when a 6' man fills the height say at the 200 yard mark, he is 200 yards away.
The one I posted the guy has the other side marked out correlating to the height of a deer.
I'm not sure how accurate you can be with them. Nothing like a laser range finder I'm sure.
Thank you!

I give up, just how did these work?
There are videos available;
1) You tie a knot in the string or use a bead. Put it in your teeth so you hold the device at arm's length.

2) The first one pictured is calibrated for a 6 foot tall man (man and hat, assuming he is a French soldier).
You move the slider until he is in between the bottom and the slider, the number will tell you how many yards away.

The second one posted is Civil War erra; it has Two marked sides, one for a man on foot and one for a man on horse (each side calibrated according).
**the second posted one is MISSING the string (critical for use).
The button hole chain (fob chain?) Is just that, Not used in calibration.

As I have read; the second one (originals) are somewhat rare as they were Military Awards to sharpshooters.
Exact description evades me (you can look it up) but they came in two types: one brass, one tin(??). They were awarded based on rank, it was usually the sharp shooter's Spotter who used it and called out the distance to the shooter.

Ya, I have both types and if held properly, and proofed with a known post (or wife holding 6 foot pole) they can be fairly accurate...not like a laser finder, but then we don't do nor speak of UNMENTIONABLES on here, no do we....
But Yes, they do work.
I calibrated the backside of my (the first one) for 5 feet as that is the height of my most used paper target stand.

One thing I left out!!
They do not work 'Out of the Box".
You have first Cskibrate it to You.

With no knot (or bead yet) put string in mouth.
Using a Known 6 foot target, move back while holding device (string in mouth) at Arm's length.
NOW pinch the String at your teeth, THAT is where you tie the Knot (or bead), Now it is calibrated to You and ready for use.

**But remember; it is calibrated to YOU, hand it to someone else and it may not be as accurate!
Like most sighting in on firearms, your sights are calibrated to You, your natural view, what/how Your eyes see, the way You hold/present your firearm....we are are all different
(Unless you use laser sights, but then we don't discuss those, but even then - my military training and experience proves 'My sights are My sights, yours are yours...even with Unmentionables)

There are videos available;
1) You tie a knot in the string or use a bead. Put it in your teeth so you hold the device at arm's length.

2) The first one pictured is calibrated for a 6 foot tall man (man and hat, assuming he is a French soldier).
You move the slider until he is in between the bottom and the slider, the number will tell you how many yards away.

The second one posted is Civil War erra; it has Two marked sides, one for a man on foot and one for a man on horse (each side calibrated according).
**the second posted one is MISSING the string (critical for use).
The button hole chain (fob chain?) Is just that, Not used in calibration.

As I have read; the second one (originals) are somewhat rare as they were Military Awards to sharpshooters.
Exact description evades me (you can look it up) but they came in two types: one brass, one tin(??). They were awarded based on rank, it was usually the sharp shooter's Spotter who used it and called out the distance to the shooter.

Ya, I have both types and if held properly, and proofed with a known post (or wife holding 6 foot pole) they can be fairly accurate...not like a laser finder, but then we don't do nor speak of UNMENTIONABLES on here, no do we....
But Yes, they do work.
I calibrated the backside of my (the first one) for 5 feet as that is the height of my most used paper target stand.
Thanks for this!

Back