• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pickled eggs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
any of ya got any good recipies for pickled eggs. Red , clear, hot, spicey etc, looking to try some different flavors n see what I like best, thanks for your time YMHS Birdman

red eggs are colored with beet juice. only other ingredients are vinegar and salt.
vinegar, salt, garlic cloves (peeled), dill seed and crushed cayenne pepper make a good 'spicy' egg.
make sure you stay upwind of anyone eating them.

"you have to get the chicken drunk"

You might just find out why she crossed the road to...

The owner our small town bar used to give away the left over pickling juice and gallon jar from those hot sausage. Just boil up eggs and let them marinate awhile. Worked pretty good. Mac.

My wife gets hot pepper rings in large jars. When we finish the peppers, we add HB eggs to the leftover vinegar solution. The are great! Try 'em. TOM

Swedepie said:
The owner our small town bar used to give away the left over pickling juice and gallon jar from those hot sausage. Just boil up eggs and let them marinate awhile. Worked pretty good. Mac.
Mac,
I have done that but usually add some,
hot peppers and a bit more vinagar.2 doz eggs to the jug and I refrigerate till ready to use.
snake-eyes :hmm:

this is what i use you cant put in to many peppers. :grin:
3 dozen hard-boiled eggs (peeled)
1 quart distilled white vinegar
1 onion (sliced)
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 tablespoon red pepper seed
1 tablespoon black pepper or peppercorns
6 cloves garlic
1 jar (16 oz. size) jalepeno peppers with juice
1 jar (16 oz. size) habanero peppers with juice
10 dashes Tabasco sauce

Directions:
Place all the ingredients except the hard-boiled eggs in a covered pot and boil for 15 minutes. Place the hard-boiled eggs in a glass jar and cover them with hot pickling mixture until the eggs are completely covered. If there is not enough vinegar, you may add some hot water to the vinegar solution.

Marinate the eggs in this solution, in the refrigerator, for 7 days before serving. The longer they marinate, the more robust the flavor!
This recipe from CDKitchen for Pickled Eggs With Jalapenos, Habaneros And Tabasco serves/makes 3 dozen

Jaysus!! the fire dept would have to be called out for 'morning afters' if a feller ate more than 1 of them jewels!

Naw just eat ice cream after the egg and then pray for the ice cream to come through :shocked2:

Digger Scott said:
Naw just eat ice cream after the egg and then pray for the ice cream to come through :shocked2:

you've given this alotta thought evidently??? :haha:

Been there done that as they say!! They just are to good to say no!! :wink:

Digger I can feel my eyes melting n my brow covered in sweat n I ain't even tried one yet, WHOOOHOOOO THEM SOUNDS HOT FER SURE. But at the same time sound interesting enough to try, I got some buddies in camp that like some heat on occasion. May just make a batch strictly for them hee hee.

make sure you have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy - they throw ice out you know.
you gonna need it for the next morning.

Hot peppers mobetter Snake eyes. We even took a toothpic and poked a few holes in them so soak up faster. I like them kinda rubbery and well flavored and usually eat the peppers up before the eggs are gone. Kinda like a western hor de hourve, or how ever ya spell them french words. Mac.

Drs.....

Seems like your recipe has a lot of the same stuff I use.

I've been pickling eggs for about a year, and the best batch I made was just a few weeks ago.

I really have no set recipe, but usually add a few tablespoons of spices like Turmeric, chili powder, whole pepper corns, powdered mustard, sage......The list goes on and on.

I take my vinegar (usually just use the mix that's left over from the last batch) and mix all the spices in and set it in a pot to lightly simmer for 5 mins or so adding fresh vinegar to the pot.
Usually around this time I slice up an onion, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, carrots and peppers (if I have them) and throw them in the pot.

I also pour in quite a bit of whatever hot sauce I have on hand such as Tapatio or the Sririchaya stuff.

After the mix is done simmering I dump everything into the old pickle jar with the eggs already inside and screw the cap on quickly.

I like to have my jar already sitting in hot water so that the boiling mixture won't stress the glass too much

When the jar is closed....leave it closed!
As the vinegar mixture cools off, it contracts and creates a vacum inside the jar which helps impart the flavor of your vinegar and spices to the core of the egg.

My last (and best) batch was left unopened in the fridge for 2 weeks.

We refer to really hot food like these eggs as "two popsicle" hot. The next morning it would take two popsicles to put out the fire. :haha: :blah:

Many Klatch

just to be clear (God knows ya wouldn't wanna screw up the receipe !! :shocked2: ) it says hard boiled eggs??? are ya sure they don't cook in that??? :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back