• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pillow ticking question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they do vary at differant stores. Here in Avondale PA the red striped mics to .020. They didn't have any other color, and as with you guys I had to "help myself" and managed to clog up a checkout line with trying to fugure out what to charge. I got 2 yards for the price of 1 because they couldn't figure out how many inches in the yard!

cmdrted said:
I got 2 yards for the price of 1 because they couldn't figure out how many inches in the yard!
:confused: :shake: If ya told them to mic the ticking, cause you needed to know how thick it was, you might have gotten the whole bolt, just to get you out of the store. :rotf:

Can't wait till bomma fixes the public education system...
sign01861-1.gif

My WM has blue stiped and red striped pt. I learned that if a young woman is working in fabrics--forget it. When there is an older lady (someone close to my age)there is never a problem getting pilow ticking. There is a generational knowledge difference!

I went into my local WallyWorld this week to get some ticking, and the fabric area is gone. I knew it was scheduled to be removed, but didn't know when. Story of my life. A day late and a dollar short. Such is life.

usually the BLUE pillowtick at wal-mart is .018.

i will be micking it on monday,they have 3 colors,red/brown/blue.

i just checked the pillowtick at wal-mart.

all three colors,RED/BR/BLUE are all .018

they said they are also closing that section down in aug,so get it while it lasts.

it was 4.17 a yard 36x48.

i also took a pillowtick patch from ox-yoke with me that was .018 and it matched on the caliper at .018

as we can see, we all get diffferent reading. mine was done not tight on patch,just snug.

if i pushed real tight on jaws it went to .014.

snug fit is .018

does anyone have a part# from Wall mart. im just at the point where i am going to have to find a good supply or make my own. i have heard that most that shoot here make there own, maby its time for me to do the same.

I've yet to find anybody in any walmart that knew what pillow ticking was. Like with most box stores, they always try to SHOW you something but so far it's not been pillow ticking. I finally found some at a walmart in marlin, tx. If you know what it looks like it shouldn't be hard to find. Mili stripes in red, blue or brown. They had all 3 colors but I didn't have a mic although it felt a decent thickness. I'll pick some up next time I'm through there.

Albert said:
forget Walley world and go to a fabric shop,and take your mic.,preferbly a disc mic. Fabric shops where I live have a good selection,at least the last time I bought some.If yor not sure of what thickness you need get small samples and try them out,then buy a good supply.

Same where I live. I don't even look in Wally World for fabric. Probably have it but I like seeing stores in business besides Walmart so I try to buy from other places too.

Dan

Here's a wierd thing about waly worlds ticking. I bought the 1st 2 yards on a leap of faith it would be .018. I didn't take a mic into the store then. I washed the sizing off then measured the stuff and it came out to .020. I went back today with mic in hand and the only color they had was re and white, again. I mic's several areas and it came out to .017 to .018. Bingo I thought. Bought 2 more yards, paid for 2 this time. I washed it and the stuff mic'd out to .020 after the washing. I tried to press it flat again, lubed it with all sorts of lubes and squished it and it still sprung back to .020! Any ideas?

Our local Wal-mart has a large fabric section and they all seem familar with all the fabrics. There is red stripe, dark blue stripe, black stripe and a light blue stripe. I measure hard because that's the only consistant way to do it. All the colors measure the same .015 except the light blue which measures .013. .013 fits most of my guns best. I had them order me a bolt of the .013,crossed my fingers that they would get the right one, they did, it's .013 when miked hard. I shoot a lot but I'm set for patches for a long time.

Latest posts

Back