• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plainsrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulussie0

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there , does any one of you know if the where plainsrifles with a flintlock ?
The thing is this:I own a plainsrifle with a cast steel barrel made by Stevens.
Bore .40 , outside 32mm so it is pretty heavey.
The lock (percussion)is stamped Remmington.
It does not seem te be the original lock of this rifle , some part of this lock is removed to make it fit the stock.
So if there where plains rifles with a flintlock , I would like reverse it to a flinter .
What do you guys think? :confused:

Many of the early plains rifles were made with flints, yes. Most were percussion, or converted later though

It would help if you could post photos of your rifle.

A full side view, then details from buttpiece to muzzle would be very helpful.

Thanks and God bless.

Yes, the flint plains rifle was not uncommon. Even after the percussion cap came along, the men of the plains and mountains were inclined to stay with the flintlock.

J.D. , as soon as my barrel gets back from the gunsmith who is re-rifling it I will send some picture's.
A have a scope that I would like to mount on the barrel and due to the weight of the rifle I am thingking of using it as a benchrestrifle , it is far to heavey for shooting it standing up.
On our shootingrange are some guys who are shooting highpowerd benchrestrifle's , I would like to show them someting :wink: :blah:

:hatsoff:

Please show them what a flintlock rifle as muzzle loader is capable of. :thumbsup:

A number of NC shooters is still surprised when they realize, what precision muzzle loaders have.

Additionally, all the luck whatever is needed to achive the goal.

Unless you have vision problems that require you to use a scope, PLEASE!-- Don't put any scope on a traditional Flintlock rifle.

There are temporary mounts you can use to put a scope on a gun if you want to use it to zero in, and perfect a " Best Load" for a particular gun. BUT, after you know what load your gun shoots best at a given range, go back to IRON SIGHTS.

If needed- again for vision problems, use a Peep Sight- either mounted on the barrel, an extension that comes off the barrel and over the wrist, or on the Tang of the gun. A peep sight, to be efficient, must be within 5 inches of your eye-- don't try to get it closer by much or you can hurt yourself in recoil. With peep sights, and a skilled shooter, the BP Cartridge long range shooters are shooting groups that rival anything that can be shot using a scope.

The Slug Gun shooters in the open class, here, do use Scopes on their guns, but they are shooting Underhammer actions, with huge, long barrels, you won't find being carried in the woods hunting. And, they are rarely flintlock. Even as cap locks, most of these shooters use a device that allows them to use small(modern), pistol primers to ignite the powder charge. Hardly a " Traditional Flintlock rifle".

You should have no trouble shooting good groups with your flintlock- enough to impress any of the modern gun shooters at the range.

The rifle has a lollipop peepsite as can be seen in the book : the muzzleloading caplock rifle.
I can fix something temporarely to mount the scope.
The barrel is octagonal , so that would be no problem.

Back