• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket screwdriver for Deluxe Siler jaw screw ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
During all the years of hunting T/C Hawken Flintlocks, I always carried a pan brush and a small rod made for tightening up the jaw screw...TC's jaw screws had both a screwdriver slot and a hole for the little rod.

Just occurred to me today that the deluxe silers I'm now hunting with don't have the hole drilled for such a rod...and the screwdriver slot is too narrow to handle the flip out little screwdriver blade of a pocket knife I always carry.

Does anyone know of a good quality, pocket screwdriver that fits the jaw screws on the deluxe siler? (probably the same on the silers too)

Eric Krewson said:
I have a deluxe Siler on my deer rifle and filed the slot out with a knife edge file(tapered) so any screwdriver will fit the slot.
Thought about doing that myself and in the end may have to...that's a narrow slot for sure

Although not PC, I carry one of Craftsmans keychain screwdrivers when hunting. It's one that is about the size of a half dollar and has four different blades 90 degrees apart.

Flint Hunter said:
Although not PC, I carry one of Craftsmans keychain screwdrivers when hunting. It's one that is about the size of a half dollar and has four different blades 90 degrees apart.
I wear Gore-Tex and Thinsulate...so a Craftsman pocket screwdriver would not get the planets out of alignment :grin: .
I thought of those but not having one on hand I didn't know if the big strongest blade would fit the narrow slot on a siler/deluxe siler...have you used it OK on those specific locks?

Why not drill a hole as in the TCs? On my squirrel LR which gets the most use, I filed a hex on the "bulb" of the screw and use a socket wrench.....Fred

roundball said:
Flint Hunter said:
I wear Gore-Tex and Thinsulate...so a Craftsman pocket screwdriver would not get the planets out of alignment :grin: .
I thought of those but not having one on hand I didn't know if the big strongest blade would fit the narrow slot on a siler/deluxe siler...have you used it OK on those specific locks?

I've used it (pocket screwdriver) on Chambers Golden Age locks and it works fine. However, I also drilled a hole for using a lever. I take the screwdriver because it fits all the screws.

Drilling a hole in the screw is pretty easy if it isn't hardened.

Allen

I'm speculating that they would have it in stock or could make it for you, but if you want something "classy" check out the new advertiser on the site, The Lucky Bag. They certainly make some fine stuff, and it would go well with fine rifles like yours.

I like the Flinter's tool sold by the Hawken Shoppe, and other suppliers. You may have to grind or file down the short blade to fit your slots exactly, but I carry this in my pouch on a leather lacing thong, so its easily grabbed out of the pouch for use.

The tool has about 6 different tools in one, including a wire for a vent or nipple pick. I have used the square notch on my tool to clamp a frizzen spring to remove it at the range one time, and it performed perfectly. The edge of the tool is intended to be used as a flint striker so you can start a fire.

roundball said:
A little too classy for this boy :grin:

Actually, me too!

In truth, I just snapped off a short length of hacksaw blade and tossed that into my patch box. There's another in my bag with some fancy duct tape wrapped around one end for a grip.

Red Green Lives! :rotf:

I took an old screwdriver and ground it until it fit the slot.

I imagine you could do the same with your pocket tool.

Leo

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I had also Emailed Jim Chambers and heard back today...he can drill 1/8" holes through the top of the jaw screws no problem, so I've decided to go that route...be able to stay with the same approach I've always had using the same pocket rods I've already got...

Well, I had a good thought. You could have gotten an old Army P38 can opener. It would work fine and serve double duty.

9937-thumb.jpg

The P38 is one of the best pieces of equipment I ever got from the Army. I keep one on the key chain. Kids are amazed that I can open a can with it...

Pork Chop said:
The P38 is one of the best pieces of equipment I ever got from the Army. I keep one on the key chain. Kids are amazed that I can open a can with it...
Right you are...I have a couple of them floating around here somewhere too

Thanks to the excellent support from Jim Chambers, I'm now the proud owner of some jaw screws with 1/8" holes bored through them.
Swapped them all out on my deluxe silers and they work perfectly with the little pocket torque rods I already had...

Back