• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunSetter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you clean and treat your leather bags with? I have a nice bag and want it to last. I use it deer hunting and noticed that water makes spots on it. I've never done anything to it and was just wondering what you guys do to yours?

It's not PC but I treated mine with Camp-Dry silicone spray. Depending on what type of leather yours is made of you can waterproof it just like you would leather boots with Sno-Seal, Mink oil...etc.

HD

Saddle soap here on a cowhide bag. It really depends on the tanning. With an oil tan, saddle soap is great. If there was silicone in the finish like on many modern leathers, I'd use that instead. Same for boots.

I use Montana pitch blend. Beeswax mink oil and pine pitch. I have never had good luck with silicon.Once the silicon dries on the surface it becomes harder to treat the leather underneath.My .02 BB

I usually have treated my leather things (knife sheaths, etc.) with Leather New oil and, after that, mink oil, with the latter left out in the sun on a hot day so that the leather soaks it in; I usually repeat until the leather is pretty well saturated, but try to stop before it gets so soaked it exudes the stuff. This treatment has worked well to keep my smooth leather things from drying out and cracking and turning powdery in the desert heat and low humidity.

That said, I'm curious to hear what people do with suede--I've got a couple of cheap possibles bags in that material (I know, suboptimal--but it's what I could afford at the time.) I'm interested in knowing what's good for treating a suede possibles bag, especially with an eye toward keeping it supple and keeping it from drying out and cracking under near-zero-humidity, sometimes-over-150-degrees-Fahrenheit conditions. (The interior of a car will easily top 150 degrees in the summer here, even when the weather reports' air-temp-in-the-shade readings are a lot lower.)

Speedy Hogarth told me not to put anything on the leather. He's the best bag maker that I know.

I've always heard that mink oil will rot the stitches.

Snow Seal is what I used to use. Now I just rub a little olive oil/bees wax on them.

Sno-Seal works great for me. Warmed the leather a little first time it was treated then just put thin coat on as needed.

Bear tallow is all I use now on all my leather..It just works and stays on. I also use it for wipe down on all my rifles. It works for me.

SunSetter,
Now this is just me,but I don't
really treat my leather items just to be treating them. But when the leather needs it I use Neets-foot oil.Then a saddle soap.Works for me!
snake-eyes:hmm:

Montana Pitch Blend is what I now use, thanks to someone from this forum recommending it. Works great on my Gokey snake boots, and both my hunting bags.
:hmm: Wonder how it would work as a patch lube.......

Thanks guys. Have to pick one method and try it. Now this might sound dumb, but do you do the inside of the bag also?

I use Huberds shoe grease for any of my leather needs as I have found over 40+ years that it works very well and used to get it for nothing as I knew the gentleman who made it here in town is a friend of mine,and he gave me some of the dented cans, he has since sold the buisness but I think someone else is still making it, it is beeswax,pitch and something else if I recall, not much different than brewers pitch.

tg said:
I use Huberds shoe grease for any of my leather needs as I have found over 40+ years that it works very well and used to get it for nothing as I knew the gentleman who made it here in town is a friend of mine,and he gave me some of the dented cans, he has since sold the buisness but I think someone else is still making it, it is beeswax,pitch and something else if I recall, not much different than brewers pitch.

Frank was selling a bunch at the club a few months back for 2 bucks a can!
the business is still producing, but with different owners.

Good stuff, used it for years prior to even knowing Frank!

Back in the 60s i used to were suede boots. To keep the suede looking good i would use a small brass wire brush and then spray with Aquanet heir spray.

Mike

I want to thank you guys again. I went with the saddle soap. Looks pretty good and the leather feels better. Not so dry.

Latest posts

Back