• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder charge for deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga2588

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i shoot a lyman 50 cal trade rifle and using 85 grs of 2f. this is a accurate load out to 75 yards for me. is this enough powder for a .490 rd to go through a deer? i usually take double lung shots when possible and what would happen if i hit the shoulder?

I use 85 grains 2f Goex for hunting with my .54. Shot a buck quartering towards me through front shoulder and ball went through, exiting ribs off side, and recovered ball just under the hide which it had bulged.

You will break the shoulder and eat venison. Sounds like a good load. My .50 load is only 70grs FFFg and works fine, so I dont see any reason why yours wouldnt do the same. If anything, yours should shoot slightly flatter due to the higher charge and higher velocity. Put the ball where it will count and you will eat very well.

3 band said:
i shoot a lyman 50 cal trade rifle and using 85 grs of 2f. this is a accurate load out to 75 yards for me. is this enough powder for a .490 rd to go through a deer? i usually take double lung shots when possible and what would happen if i hit the shoulder?

1. Yes 2. A dead deer.

You have nothing to be concerned about. 85gr in a .50 isn't even marginal. I would be surprised if you didn't get a clean pass through with that load. I have several deer with a .50 and 90gr of FFF. Have'nt recovered a ball yet, they have all zipped right through. With more practice you can extend your range past 75 yards if your sights and eyes allow you, and 85 gr. will still do the job. But if 75 is where you are comfortable, I commend you for setting that limit. 75 is about my limit with .50 and RB.

Well, I know that 60gr of 2F in my .50 passed broadside through a deer at 40 yards. I don't see why 85gr wouldn't do it at 75 yards.

You can easily stretch the range to 100 yards or a little more if you practice at those ranges. A 50 cal ball is effective beyond 75 yards on deer. It will have no problem going through the shoulder and into the vitals at 120 yards.

thanks for everyones input on this, im just going to stay within 75 yards and try to get a clean kill

...it all boils down to shot placement & the shooters ability to achieve this! nuf said.

This is a 0.490" ball with the very load you mention that penetrated 32" of deer with a frontal shot that ended up behind the hip of a very dead deer that never took a step.

Rifling marks (flats) and note the cotton patch weave impressed into the ball.

IM000558.jpg

Usually that load just blows through with broadside shots. :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller said:
This is a 0.490" ball with the very load you mention that penetrated 32" of deer with a frontal shot that ended up behind the hip of a very dead deer that never took a step.

Rifling marks (flats) and note the cotton patch weave impressed into the ball.

IM000558.jpg

Usually that load just blows through with broadside shots. :thumbsup:

I don't see much expansion??

expansion!!!! If a 1/2" hole through both lungs or the heart dont stop the animal..throw away everything of any weight and run.
There is far to much "belief" that expansion is necessary,shot placement is the key.
The coin for comparison is a Walking Liberty Half Dollar

3 band said:

Split your time between shooting practice and collecting venison recipes. There's going to be venison on the table.

The first deer I ever killed with an ml rifle was my .45 Rev. period style longrifle. I used a prb and 95 grains of real bp. Way too much bloodshot meat and shattered bone for my liking. Range was about 75 yards. I backed down to 65 grains and have stayed with that. Ded deer, no bloodshot area bigger than a half dollar. I keep my range at no more than 100 yards.

You're load is more then enough for deer. I use 90 gr of 2F for elk/bear in my .50 GPR. Good luck and good hunting.

Two .490 balls - the one on the right was pushed through a deer broadside at 20 yards with 70 gr. Swiss 2f - it landed just under the skin on the opposite side:

FlattenedBall018.jpg

Back