• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn dye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bub524

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone done any horn dyeing? An old friend, gone under these many years, used to dye the horns he made to simulate age. They are almost a orangeish-brown color. I don't remember what he used. Any help? I'd like to dye a few of the ones I make.
Thanks

In Ron Ehlert's video on makeing powder horns, he recommends using Feibings Dark Brown Leather dye. I have tried it and it does a good job. Make a pad of about 5-6 thicknesses of flannel and wet it with a small amount of the dye. If the color turns out too dark, just use 0000 steel wool and rub it lightly until it gets down to the shade you want.

Thanks for the advice. I tried that and it is just what I wanted. Now to get another raw horn and start again. I'll have to start giving them away as gifts to the kids and in-laws soon. Getting so I have more horns than rifles.
Thanks again,

bub...I've made a couple of horns for me and my family and have used the same dye. One problem I found was that when it gets wet ( water or sweat) it kinda rubs off without some kinda sealer. Although not historically correct, I use a product called "Deft Clear Wood Sealer". Its a polyurethane type spray that won't react to the dye and make it run. You can find it at any pre 1840 Wal Mart. This was a tip given to me by a very well known horner who shall remain nameless. I've a main and priming horn I made and have hunted with for 2 years and it still retains all of it's color. My $.02 worth

I've had success aging horns using "Old Bones" ...this topic was discussed, pretty thoroughly, on another thread very recently...I described Old Bones as being Potasium Chloride, and someone else gave the correct chemical name...it doesn't run when it's wet, and works fast..very fast..Hank

I believe it is called "potassium permanganate". I have a horn that was dyed with this product, and it looks great. I was told that you could purchase it at a pool supply place.

We used to use potassium permanganate for staining maple gunstocks. I quit because it fades with time and the stock turns blond. You need to acidifiy the stock thoroughly with vinigar before using potassium permanganate on it or it fades. Of course we didn't know that back in the 70's. Another dye we used was 6 oz. of vinigar and a TBS. of iron filings. Real dark stain. Never tried it on horns tho. Will have to look for some potassium permanganate.
Thanks for all the interesting info.

Bub...I've tried Potassium Permanganate on horns. It will turn them yellow to really dark brown depending on the natural color of the horn, strength of the mixture and the length of time you leave it on the horn. A couple of words of caution. Make the mix (water and PP) about the color of a blush wine or weak grape kool-aid. Wear rubber gloves else it will turn your hands purple for a long time. It will turn everything it touches purple then brown. I used a cotton ball to apply, I let it set on the horn for about 3 minutes then wiped off with water/vinager. Repeat as you will till it gets as dark as you want. The biggest drawback I found is that it doesn't really soak deeply into the horn material and a simple scratch will show up white like the original horn to start with. Your mileage may vary.

Boiling them in a mixture of golden yellow, and brown, Rit dye makes a good permanent color. More yellow than brown to start, and if the color isn't what you like after boiling, add some more brown until you reach the desired color.

There are a lot of real good ideas being offered. However, I would like to suggest the use of the tannin found in the husks of wallnuts. I know that it may be too late in the year to find any wallnuts but I have used wallnut husks to stain or die a number of items and it works just fine. It gives a very nice and natural pattina to anything it is applied to -- even your hands if you do not wear rubber gloves.

The Log Cabin Shop out in the Ohio country was selling "Old Bones" in their catalog. Good stuff, but must be diluted properly. Gives a nice aged look to horns and bone items. I've used it several times with great satisfaction. I also like to use the Feibings Medium Brown leather dye. Gives that nice "orange" glow, but be careful how much you apply. Always better to apply thin coats and keep your cotton ball moving. Good luck, and a very Happy New Year to all! :m2c:

I have a friend who is a scrimshander by trade. It's how he make his living. In total; He's an artist.
He says most people over-look the obvious. "What is a cow horn? A: Compressed Hair!"; therefore when he isn't doing historically correct or repairs on originals, he uses....HAIR DYE! Sounds crazy, but I've watch him with some of his pieces, but it works. He did a red F&I Indian Horn, for a savage reenactor,that was exquisite. He used ladies red hair dye from Revlon. get some from a wife or female friend and try it on a scrape piece. :m2c:

I used a powder dye used for maple wood. It mixes with water and is thin- on maple wood it looks great, and for a horn I simply wiped a soaked rag over the horn and it turned the aged yellow. Since its a dye it doesn't wash off. Just a coat or two and I have horns that match a 200 yr old look. You can find it at any dedicated woodworking store (not sure if Lowe's or Home Depot would carry it).

Latest posts

Back