• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great plains

32 Cal.
Reaction score
my local dealer stop selling goex black powder :( can you use hodgdon RS??? what about priming powder??? igot about a pound of 2ff goex left thanks WORM

great plains said:
my local dealer stop selling goex black powder :( can you use hodgdon RS??? what about priming powder??? igot about a pound of 2ff goex left thanks WORM

I used up several pounds of Pyrodex RS as main charges when I switched to real black powder and flintlocks but I always put 20grns Goex 3F downbore first...RS itself won't do well...if I normally used a 50grn target load of Goex 3F, I'd pour in 20grns 3F then 30grns RS...worked perfectly, very accurate, consistent.

2F can even be used as priming powder but you can easily crush it smaller for priminbg and for the igniter charge under the RS by filling a 35mm film canister 1/2 - 2/3 full, drop in a lead ball, cap it and shake it vigorously for a bit, then check it, etc.

You can order 4-5 pound minimums of Goex from PowderInc, or Graf & Sons, or a case from a Goex distributor. In any of these orders you can mix the cans of different granulations...ie: get a can of 4F, and some cans of 3F, 2F, etc.

www.powderinc.com

Tell your local shop you found blackpowder on the Internet, and, thank you for the incentive, you also found targets, cleaning supplies, reloading equipment, clothing, fishing poles & lures . . . gosh, about everything you used to buy at their store when you went to get blackpowder.

Guess you won't be seeing them much anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
stumpkiller-

thanks for the link... my "local" guy (over an hour and a half drive, round trip) charges $18.95 a pound for GOEX, which i suppose tells me that he doesn't want to really deal to the ML crowd, but doesn't have the backbone to say "no."

time to vote with my feet.

$18.95 sounds a little steep to me the last Swiss I bought was $16.00 a pound an Elaphant was about half that. :wink: Rocky

Before the gun shop in Madison, Wi. closed down last year, they were charging $18/pound for Goex. I ordered a case of mixed powder from Clarksville Rod and Gun, very easy to deal with and reasonable prices. As I tell folks here, get together with a couple of buddies and order a case of 25 pounds (or what ever amount you decide on). Sure there is HazMat, but it only adds $.80 a pound to the price of a can when you get a case. Emery

Considering the fact that the shop owner now has to store the powder off-site, unless he is more than 300 feet from the nearest occupied residential dwelling, he might have substantial costs involved in providing BP in a retail store.

I have written here many times now, that dealers and local gun clubs need to work together, as the clubs are a good place to build a powder " bunker " or storage area, away from residential areas. If the club can store its powder there, which it buys at cost, while the dealer uses the same storage area to store powder he sells, the only thing that needs to be worked out is how the dealer gets the powder to his customers.

Club members would be wise to help the dealer out, by having someone deliver the powder to the dealer at least one day a week. Or, of course, the dealer can be given a key to the bunker, and drive out and get the powder himself. But, that will cost him both time and money, which has to be factored into his costs. If the club members deliver the powder, The dealer is likely to refer new customers to the club, for both a place to shoot, and for a " member's discount " on future supplies, and he is more likely to show his appreciation to the club members by giving them member discounts at his store.

Everyone is complaining about the lack of a ready source for black powder. Its about time that some clubs begin to help dealers solve the problem, rather than sit around and complain about it. If you don't solve it, you become part of the problem, as you see a drop in your membership, and a decrease in the club dues you collect to keep the gun club going.

The Homeland security regulations are wrong, and the legislation needs to be repealed, or partially so, because there just is NO history of black powder being the explosive of choice by terrorists. In both the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, and the 1995 bombing of the Federal Building at Oklahoma City, the bombers used either gasoline and Nitrogen Fertilizer, , or chemically concocted explosives, rather than black powder. The only explosives using BP that have made the news in recent years were the pipe bombs that the guys at The Columbine HS made, and didn't go off!

paulvallandigham said:
Considering the fact that the shop owner now has to store the powder off-site, unless he is more than 300 feet from the nearest occupied residential dwelling, he might have substantial costs involved in providing BP in a retail store...

The store that I get my powder from does not do this because they never have more than 50 lbs in the shop at one time. It is stored in a powder magazine in the gun shop area. I am pretty sure that they are complying with the law because I asked about it and they say that ATF comes in several times a year to review their log books and storage procedures. This particular shop is an attached addition to the shop owner’s home. I think the key here is amount they store. If it is less than 50 they escape the more restrictive regulations. They have several customers that like real black. They stock Goex, last I bought was a little less than $15. I was told as long as I bought it and ATF rules didn’t change, they would continue to keep it in stock.

My state does not have more restrictive regs than federal laws but yours may.

I bought a lb of 2f, 3f, and 4f and each was $22.00, there was no where locally I could find it so I had to go to Austin and everything is high in Austin. So last month I bought 10lbs of assorted for $14.75 a lb from Powder, Inc and they paid the hazmat fee. It was just too easy with them. I guess they went up because it's now $14.90 per lb for 10 lbs.

:hatsoff: to Powder, Inc.

You need to buy 25 pound increments to get the 12.50 (or thereabouts)[url] price.Again[/url], if you can find someone to go in with thats the ticket. A club officer can purchase 50 lbs at one time for distribution within a club,as long as it is not being sold for a profit to other members within the club.

well as others pointed out you can shoot what you want to shoot or you can let some one else decide.
if that dealer does not want to sell b-p then buy from one that will. also as some one else pointed out give the dealer that will get you powder your other business too.
i buy in 25 lb. balk i have plenty of cans to put it in.

great plains said:

I would order in some BP. Find GOEX's master distributor list. The Gov't has made it very hard for retailers to carry BP so they have resorted to the other stuff.
There are some side effects to the use of perchlorate powders you might not like.
Then there is the fumes thing...[url] http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/BP-L/message/43335[/url]

Dan

I am working on the last couple pounds I bought from local sporting goods store. They gave it up due to hassle of BATF and storage. I paid $20. From now on, will have to order from Powderinc or similar. Vendors are getting scarcer. Good smoke, Ron in Venice,FL

Up we go! I bought a pound of 2F Goex a few days ago. $18.00

However, gas is way down to 2.99 Ha Ha

RichEE

What Paul wrote makes perfect sense; work together and help each other out. An individual can have up to 50 pounds of BP on his/her premises without a need for an approved magazine, so I would imagine that is how the shop owner could have it in the store.

The guy at Clarksville, Arkansas (Don, I think?) is super nice to work with and very reasonable. In this day and age of internet purchasing and mail order mania, there is no reason not to have the powder you need. Order from Don and pay the hazmat and you will still likely be time and money ahead of a local shop with a bad attitude about real black powder. "Traditional" archery and muzzle loader and everything else people have to order everything and do things ourselves anyway. It goes with the addiction. :) Besides, one case of real black powder is likely under $300 and will last most shooters a very, very, very long time.

in your premises---does that mean in your house or on your property---can you have 50 lb in the garage and 50lb in the house? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Latest posts

Back