• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have a gun that I have to wipe between shots in order to shoot it....... I will get rid of the gun.

Started this in the 70's, have never wiped and never will. YMMV.
Where do you live?
I grew up in New Mexico and tge dry air let me fire a lot, when I moved to the Ozarks the high humidity I found even with spit patches that gun started getting tight after five shots

I will start with I always use a separate powder measure to charge the gun, no exceptions. That said, In my 45 yrs shooting smoke poles, I have never seen a charge go off due to an "ember" in the barrel from the last shot. Has anyone had first hand experience with this and if so, what were the particulars?
In 55 yrs of burning the stuff I haven’t seen it happen.

I will start with I always use a separate powder measure to charge the gun, no exceptions. That said, In my 45 yrs shooting smoke poles, I have never seen a charge go off due to an "ember" in the barrel from the last shot. Has anyone had first hand experience with this and if so, what were the particulars?
Seen it twice in the past 30 years. Speed loading match. One was a drill using just blanks, so the action of ramming down the ball and paper cartridge was not there, so had no chance to scrub the bore even a little, which I think gave the ember a place to rest. Result was burned thumb and first finger on the shooter. Second was a live fire speed match, and the shooters were using very undersized ball to ensure that all 24 rounds would get launched without a jam, so again perhaps not much "scrubbing" action from the paper cartridge with the ball going down the musket, and it went off when the powder was poured ; not from ramming (thankfully). Finger burns were the result

LD

Where do you live?
I grew up in New Mexico and tge dry air let me fire a lot, when I moved to the Ozarks the high humidity I found even with spit patches that gun started getting tight after five shots
I live in central Illinois, I actually think the higher humidity helps me shoot without wiping, no scientific proof just my opinion, I blow down the barrel, sometimes one time, sometimes more (just like BPCRS shooters do) and the more times the more it helps keep fouling soft if the atmosphere is dry, also in my opinion.

I do not care if the nervous nannies think it is unsafe, none of their business, I have been doing it for almost 50 years thank you very much and see no reason to stop. I used to win a lot of matches back when I could see so there is that as well.
If it gets a little hard to load, my next spit patch is a little wetter than the previous.

I like the simplicity of powder, patch and ball and refuse to add additional complications (did I wipe enough? what barrel napkins do you use?, what magic fluid do you wipe with?) BUT I do not tell anyone not to wipe their barrel between shots, that's their business, I am just not going to do it.

YMMV, As Backdraft said your mileage may vary, another way of saying, your results may be different than mine and that is OK, as long as we are both having fun shooting BP we can share the shooting line.

And an edit to get back on topic, never seen a cook off preignition or whatever you want to call it, nor has anyone I know, I will however continue to use a measure to dump powder down the barrel and not direct from the horn.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard of a revolver blowing up because remnants of a paper cartridge was left glowing in a chamber? Ive been shooting them alot as of late and they are not nitrated, so they dont burn up entirely.

Last edited:
Never seen it happen, never heard around here of it happening. I wipe between shots, and damp swab my cannon between shots. I'm not a fan of those kind of surprises.

When I first started shooting ML in the 70's, I tried blowing down the barrel a few times. Then I thought that the practice of placing one's mouth over a muzzle violated a critical safety rule (never point gun at something you don't intend to destroy), and have not done it since. And yes I understand the ML is not loaded, but if I recall, all accidental discharges start with an "unloaded" gun.
I put some value in keeping my cerebellum intact!
The club I belong to has banned blowing down the barrel. I have never done it and I never intend to do that.

With respect to the blowing down the barrel "controversy", there is the very unlikely probability of a hangfire going off as the shooter is blowing down the barrel. Yes, one should be quite certain that the round has been fired or not. However at many ranges, range officers need to enforce safety procedures that may seem excessive. At our range, the practice of wiping the bore with a damp patch accomplishes the extinguishing of any burning embers, softening the fouling remaining in the barrel and removing excess fouling from the barrel to keep the condition of the barrel consistent from shot to shot.

Using the best practices of sizing the jag to slide over fouling then bunching up to remove fouling, blocking the flash channel is avoided.

With respect to the blowing down the barrel "controversy", there is the very unlikely probability of a hangfire going off as the shooter is blowing down the barrel. Yes, one should be quite certain that the round has been fired or not. However at many ranges, range officers need to enforce safety procedures that may seem excessive. At our range, the practice of wiping the bore with a damp patch accomplishes the extinguishing of any burning embers, softening the fouling remaining in the barrel and removing excess fouling from the barrel to keep the condition of the barrel consistent from shot to shot.

Using the best practices of sizing the jag to slide over fouling then bunching up to remove fouling, blocking the flash channel is avoided.
Yep, the club I shoot at bans it as well but I do it anyway, (after almost 50 years old habits die hard) there is only one guy who says anything about it and he is usually not there, when he is I use a piece of hose and accomplish the same thing.

To each their own, as long as your having fun.

What is the reasoning behind banning it? Im seriously curious.
NMLRA bans it and lots of clubs do. It’s a matter of optics instead of safety.
I’ve done in near fifty years, but when I’m playing in someone else’s field I follow the house rules
Just did a public shoot in May. Entered the smooth bore they let me shoot with a rear sight and blowing down my barrel. Never said a thing.
On the other hand I shot a voo, and range master was almost having a stroke, and several guys told me the urban myth of the man blowing off his head, I followed the rules.
Robert Hienlien blue mud story comes to mind.
Silly ain’t worth a fight.

Never seen it happen but could

I have not seen this (kaboom from loading directly from horn) happen. In "War on the Run" a book about Roberts Raiders; his journals state that several times he had soldiers sent back to camp seriously injured from powder horn explosions. Now those guys were the original he-men in pitched running battles so loading safety was less important than getting a shot off. I recommend the book highly.

Wow ! Some of these stories ! Scary stuff ! Any who ... Ive never seen or experienced any pre ignition but one story . I met a fella at a rendezvous and his whole side was horribly black and blue ....it was hot as Hades and we were all shirtless . He told me he was shooting his trade gun SNF he forgot to put the plug back in his horn . When he fired his gun a spark from the flint or the priming powder when down the spout of his horn blowing it up . I can't believe it didn't kill him . He said they'd been shooting awhile and there wasn't a whole lot of powder left. Scary $hit . Be safe folks .

Back