• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Precision smoothbore target rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,I've read that smoothbores can be quite accurate.

Who makes target smoothbores? Are they affordable? Can I get a nice smoothbore barrel to fit my existing flintlock?

Really, cuz I remember a year or two ago, there was a thread on that. I also checked the NMLRA scores, and those guys are shooting some pretty tight groups, some of them, just as tight as the rifled bore guys.

I also know that daisy makes a precision bb airgun, that is a muzzleloader. When you put in the bb, it hums as the bb slowly works it's way down the barrel, and the air just barely has enough room to escape around it. The higher end lead bb's (beeman) can take a few seconds to get to the bottom, they fit so tight.

It is possible to do some fine shooting with a smoothbore. Smooth-rifles can deliver surprisingly tight groups. The Japanese have been hold matches for smoothbore match locks for a very long time and it takes a tiny group to win there.

I would think that a number of barrel makers could make a high grade barrel for you. What type of rifle do you have? If it is a custom, the maker of your barrel could help you. If it is a production gun, you'll need to give the barrel maker the dimensions of your barrel and the bore you want and then be prepared to wait a while. But it's doable.

A friend of mine holds the current MLAIC World Records (100/100) for both off-hand & kneeling events, shooting a smoothbore matchlock musket.

These smoothbores are fine shooters--my flintlock fowler constantly surprises me. I posted earlier in another thread about the early Swiss prize matches of the 16th century. The smoothbores were supposed to consistently hit a two and a half foot target five hundred and seventy feet away. Offhand! :hatsoff:

The smoothbores were supposed to consistently hit a two and a half foot target five hundred and seventy feet away. Offhand! :hatsoff: [/quote]
I can do that often enough......if I put enough balls down the barrel! :haha: :haha:
Seriously that is amazing shooting, most shooters with rifled barrels and scopes, and modern cartridge guns, can't do it.
Old Ford
Or did you say 57.5 feet away?

I have a smoothbore, and I think the tighter the ball is to the barrel, the more accurate it will be.
Fine up to 100 yards with iorn sights.

lets see i am being told that a smoothbore can out shoot my.45 target rifle, my m1 i use in cmp matches. and my scoped sillotte rifle.
now some one has uncorked a bottle of strong drink if they think i can belive that one.

another thing there is no such thing as a smooth rifle. it is either a smoothbore or it has rifleing.

I have GM .54cal and .62cal drop-in Flint smoothbore barrels on TC Hawken stocks...they have adjustable rear sights and are basically as accurate as a rifle to the 50yds I've tested them.
The fit of the PB combination seemed to require more experimenting than in a rifle but once figured out, accuracy was there...and it seems a faster ball holds accuracy at distance better than a slower one.

I don't know what more might be done to a smoothbore barrel that would result in it being classified as a 'precision smoothbore' compared to barrels now available from quality manufacturers like Green Mountain....I think in this day and age most good manufacturers use laser guided manufacturing equipment...not sure

There was an article by the Bevel bros on this question. They interviewed a renowned smoothbore shooter and his advise was to the effect; "Try ever possible ball, patch, wad, and powder combination you can think of and if none of that works then sell the gun and start over with another". That's obviously not an exact quote but that more or less sums it up. In other words, it takes a lot of time and dedicated experimentation and it still may not work. I've never been that dedicated to shooting ball from a smoothbore because it is just so easy to pick up a rifle. :grin:

Bobby_Ironsights said:
Really, cuz I remember a year or two ago, there was a thread on that. I also checked the NMLRA scores, and those guys are shooting some pretty tight groups, some of them, just as tight as the rifled bore guys.

I also know that daisy makes a precision bb airgun, that is a muzzleloader. When you put in the bb, it hums as the bb slowly works it's way down the barrel, and the air just barely has enough room to escape around it. The higher end lead bb's (beeman) can take a few seconds to get to the bottom, they fit so tight.

You may be aware that some if not all smoothbore events can be entered multiple time by the same shooter till they are happy with there score.

IMHO a fifty yard one time shoot (any position) a rifle has an excellent chance of beating a smoothbore.

The shooter and experience with weapons are most likely the deciding factors.

It would be serious bragging rights if you pulled it off with a SB. :v

Yes a smooth rifle in a long gun with the outward appearance of a long rifle, not fowler style, with both front and rear sights , but a smooth barrel there fore it is called a "smooth rifle"

P

roundball said:
I have GM .54cal and .62cal drop-in Flint smoothbore barrels on TC Hawken stocks...they have adjustable rear sights and are basically as accurate as a rifle to the 50yds I've tested them.
The fit of the PB combination seemed to require more experimenting than in a rifle but once figured out, accuracy was there...and it seems a faster ball holds accuracy at distance better than a slower one.

I don't know what more might be done to a smoothbore barrel that would result in it being classified as a 'precision smoothbore' compared to barrels now available from quality manufacturers like Green Mountain....I think in this day and age most good manufacturers use laser guided manufacturing equipment...not sure

Where can you get smooth hawkens?

If you have a T/C Hawken, you can remove the rifle barrel and get a .54 smoothbore barrel that will drop in. Or if you are lucky you can find an old T/C .56 smoothbore out there somewhere. Not really Hawken guns but marketed as in that general style.

bob308 said:
lets see i am being told that a smoothbore can out shoot my.45 target rifle, my m1 i use in cmp matches. and my scoped sillotte rifle.
now some one has uncorked a bottle of strong drink if they think i can belive that one.

another thing there is no such thing as a smooth rifle. it is either a smoothbore or it has rifleing.

Well, Bob, I'm not sure what a "sillotte" is. Sounds like a bit of ladies intimate apparel and if so I'm not sure why you want to shoot them but I guess we all have our little quirks. Go to it, bro!

I don't understand why you feel that someone is saying that a smoothbore can out shoot your various rifles since no one has said that. Have YOU been hitting the jug perhaps?

The smoothrifle is a well known type of firearm. It is simply a longrifle style gun with no rifling--pretty common in fact and often spoken of here on the forum.

One question. Regarding the sillottes. After you shoot them, do you cook them or do you wear them? Inquiring minds want to know. Well actually only I want to know but I rarely get to use that phrase these days. Have a nice day. :v

dukewellington said:
Where can you get smooth hawkens?

I've bought used T/C Hawken stocks, refinished them, bought T/C locks and GM smoothbore drop-in barrels made for T/C Hawkens...have GM .54cal and .62cal barrels on T/C Hawken stocks

Back