• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Precision smoothbore target rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
runnball said:
Is it properly called a Rifled Musket or a Rifle Musket? :confused:

Rifle-musket is the term used for a gun made as a musket and rifled from the armory, that is rifled as designed and originally manufactured. In the case of US military muskets, the .58 caliber M1855, M1861 and M1863 are all three "rifle-muskets"

Rifled musket is a smoothbore gun with rifling added as an upgrade after manufacture. The .69 caliber US M1842 is the most commonly seen "Rifled musket", with some M1816 muskets done as well. The M1842 was manufactured as a smoothbore musket with a slightly heavier barrel that the M1816 because it was felt that it might be necessary to rifle that model later.

I have been using a smoothbore Fusil for many years and have found that you can increase the accuracy by:
1. Use a cotton cleaning jag on your cleaning rod coated in lapping compound or Polishing Compound. Chuck it in a drill and polish the bore.
2. If using shot, add corn meal to it. Not too much. It acts like a buffer for the shot.

I can shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measures approx. 1.5 inches all day.

Several of my friends have polished their barrels and accuracy increased for them also.

Rear sights also help. Several original smoothbores had rear sights installed. Why wouldn't you use one if they were available.

"I can shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measures approx. 1.5 inches all day."
But can you do it with a witness present?

trekker1 said:
I can shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that measures approx. 1.5 inches all day.

Wow...that's mighty fine smoothbore shooting at 100yds...in fact that's mighty fine shooting with any muzzleloader at 100yds!

What gauge / caliber?
Load details?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebel: EVERYBODY knows that having anyone standing around just watching will cause a ball in flight to change its direction. It is totally impossible to get a 1 1/2 inch group as long as they are present.

Now, if they leave so your all by yourself this "deflection phenomena" will vanish and the balls will once again group tightly into the center of the bulls eye.

:rotf: :grin:

Actually, I have had witnesses along (maybe that's why they fly so straight! :hmm:

Some are better shots than I. An old timer, Jim Morrison of Pa., showed me a few tricks to smoothbores. As did many of the "Green Hats".

I have won several matches at our local club with my smoothie. And took shooter of the year 4 years straight in rifle class and once in Smoothbore class. :blah:
That was a few years ago, but I can still hold my own against others.

Specs: 20 ga. barrel (polished), .605 round ball, .010 ticking patch, swab between shots or you'll not get the patch down. 72 grains 2F Goex.

Thanks for the haha's. I feel Christened to the community. :bow:

A friend of mine lapped and polished his smoothbore until it literally shone like it had a chrome bore. He's still trying to work out if its more accurate, but its definitely easier to load and clean. He also used a temporary rear sight epoxied into place

"Rear sights also help. Several original smoothbores had rear sights installed. Why wouldn't you use one if they were available."

Many people do put rear sights on their smoothbores, some just stay with putting them on the types of smoothbores one can document their use on, and not on others, some find thay are not needed for the type of hunting shooting they do, I have two smoothies a French Fusil from Tulle circa 1730ish and a Virginia smoothrifle pre rev war I have a rear sight on the smoothrifle but not on the fusil, I don't need one on it as it does quite well without for my needs and there is little to support their use on this type of gun in the past, one would not be wrong with a rear sight on such a gun but it was obviously a rarety do to lack of docums.

I'm glad someone finally explained the term "smooth rifle".It always seemed a contradiction of terms.Either the barrel was smooth or it had rifling cut into it.Thanks for clearing this up for me! Best regards,J.A.

Latest posts

Back