• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preparing a percussion rifle for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidLeadSlug

40 Cal
Reaction score
Here in Western Washington, i have been plauged by "hang fires" during hunting season. Im hunting with the parker hale series of Enfield rifles. Ive gotten lucky with hang fires and still hitting a deer, but the last 2 years I've missed due to a delay in ignition.

Before I leave my car, I make sure to blast a few caps to clear the nipple and again wipe the bore, but still find i have a slight delay when I chance upon a deer.

To lesson the chance of the occurrence, should I blow compressed air through the nipple to further clear the nipple?

How do you all manage this annoyance? I am debating on taking a few fouling shots before I head out but really do not want to have to unload clean my rifle after every day of hunting.

I have never had that problem with my cap guns so what I have to say will only be a suggestion, and may not be a cure

1- do you have a obstruction free and and clear flash channel, double check
2- are you using excessive oils in your cleaning routine, spray brake kleen thru flash channel before loading, plus burst of air, and dry patch
3- old caps, or contaminated, right size to fit nipple CCI and Remington I never had a problem
4- powder, brand, size, substitute or real, I use 3F Triple 7 no problem
5- wet conditions try sealing cap with a water proof substance

I don't fire any caps before. I do this and don't have any issues.
1. Clean the bore And breech face with a dry patch and follow up with alcohol or Gun Scrubber solvent.
2. Remove the nipple and using Q-tips clean under it with the above dry and alcohol procedure.
3. Using pipe cleaners do the same with the flash channel.
4. Reinstall the nipple.

These are all good tips. Perhaps I am using too much oil
I would look closely at this. I’ve hunted with percussion rifles in Oregon and New England. Both places can be very damp, especially Oregon as you are probably well aware.

I had none of the issues you are describing, and never did anything special other than stretching a balloon over the muzzle and keeping the lock out of direct pouring rain.

If you can get it firing consistently at the range and get it loaded up the same way for hunting you should be good to go…

Back