• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preventing rust on a pinned barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter lynn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Building a TOW kit. Will have barrel pinned and probably not remove for cleaning very often. Is it necessary to use a rust preventative on the bottom half of the barrel? If so, any advise on what to use would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks.

I like to coat it with wax. A good floor wax or beeswax. Some use heavy grease, like bearing grease, but I never thought to much of that. I would be concerned about it soaking into the wood, and causeing problems down the road.

Hey Wallygator,
My barrels are pinned. I remove the barrels for every cleaning except field cleaning. I have friends who don't, and most of them, despite efforts to prevent it, show signs of rust on the underside of the barrels.

Charcloth

I use paste wax on the barrel channel and on the bottom of the barrel every time I pull the barrel out of the stock. It just happens that I pull the barrel out in October or November every year. No rust, no problems removing the barrel. :thumbsup:

Wallygator,
This summer my two best muzzleloaders set behind a door which was open to the outside. We had a two week period where it misted, sprinkled and rained. I didn't think about that open door with the guns behind it. When I picked one up and saw it was rusted over the top of the barrel and the lock, I checked the other which looked the same. I took the locks and barrels off and cleaned them. The undersides of the barrels were fine. All I ever do is rub the barrel with wd40 or some oxyoke wonder lube. Sometimes it goes a while before taking the barrel out.
God bless.
volatpluvia

I just Warm the barrel with tourch and run a candle over it and have never had a problem. This is the finish i use for the top as well, and it does hold up.
Craig

I have read that some actually varnish the barrel, I haven't tried it , but makes sense to me. flinch

I have used my linseed oil/spar varn/turp. stock finish on my barels and it works but does wear off and needs redone occasionaly.

tg, on all of the barrel or just what is hidden under the stock? Does the stuff burn when you have a long shooting session?

Back