• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preventing Rusting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dross

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess that I finished building about 6 months ago. I moved into a new house last month that must have more humidity than my old house. I noticed my tools started showing a lot of rust so I checked my Bess and sure enough, I'm starting to notice a small amount of rust on the barrel.

I prefer the clean steel look of the barrel as it is now, so I want to stop the rust from progressing. To fix this, do I need to clean off the rust with some steel wool then coat with oil? Do I need special oil or can I use something like patch lubricant?

Thanks

Yes, if you want the barrel and lock to stay bright as issued, remove rust with fine steel wool and lightly coat with a good quality oil. Any good gun oil or the old stand-by, "3-in-1 Oil" will do just fine.

Put motor oil on the barrel, BEFORE you use fine steel wool to remove the rust flowers. Burnish lightly, dipping the wool into motor oil frequently. The OXIDE is abrasive, and if you do it this way, you won't be scratching the outer surfaces of the barrel around the areas that show rust. You will be left with very small pinholes in the metal where the rust appeared. You can't avoid that.

I browned my barrels on my CVA shotgun, and I keep them clean and rust free by coating the barrels with Young Country 1000, a common patch lube composed of Beeswax, and oil. The Wax helps keep the oil on the metal, and helps to seal air out. Its not perfect, however,and needs to be redone ever few weeks or so, as does any oil treatment.

paulvallandigham said:
I browned my barrels on my CVA shotgun, and I keep them clean and rust free by coating the barrels with Young Country 1000, a common patch lube composed of Beeswax, and oil. The Wax helps keep the oil on the metal, and helps to seal air out. Its not perfect, however,and needs to be redone ever few weeks or so, as does any oil treatment.

Paul, where do you find the Young Country 1000? I have some I have hoarded from the 80's but haven't been able to find it lately. It's great stuff to put on the cushion wad of a shotgun. It keeps the fouling soft all day.

YOung Country 101 was bought out, by a company that marketed it as Young Country 1000. I think it was sold to someone else, that gave it another name, briefly. Its now owned by T/C, and they call it Wonderlube, or Bore Butter. Wonderlube comes in jars, while Bore Butter comes in various scents, and in a squeeze tube, like toothpaste.

I have no need for scented lubes( They make me sneeze!). Frankly, I will probably make up some Beeswax and Olive Oil- lube when I finish with the Wonderlube. It will work as well, and cost me a lot less.

Someone wrote once that the Young Country 101 lube uses Paraffin wax, not Beeswax, but I am not so sure of that.

paulvallandigham said:
Someone wrote once that the Young Country 101 lube uses Paraffin wax, not Beeswax, but I am not so sure of that.

I remember back when it came out, it was advertised that you could actually eat it. :shocked2: I would doubt that they would use paraffin and advertise you could eat it. I guess the scented lubes would be more palatable. :rotf:

I do have a bottle of Wonderlube that I won a couple of years ago. I'll check it out.

I read an article recently about preventing rust. I have no idea where I read it. :surrender: But anyways, the guy compared several rust inhibitors and the one that did real well that I had heard of was Break Free with CLP. He had one other that I had never heard of that did real well too. Somebody else here may have seen this and will probably be able to provide a link.

Latest posts

Back