• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming powder for flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formernuke

32 Cal
Reaction score
I plan on using pyrodex rs for my main powder. Problem is I can't get 4f black powder for the priming pan. Will pyrodex p work just as well?

Nope. Just order some 2f or 3f real black from someplace like Graf and Sons. Use same powder for prime. You’ll be glad you did. I was in the same spot once that you are now. Trying to use black powder substitutes will just cause frustration.

Will 2f or 3f work for priming powder?
Yes. I use 2f (real black) for main charge and prime and I also use 3f for main charge and prime since I have both.

Don’t worry about not having 4f.

(Unless you’re shooting smooth bores in the England🤭)

Last edited:
Nope. Just order some 2f or 3f real black from someplace like Graf and Sons. Use same powder for prime. You’ll be glad you did. I was in the same spot once that you are now. Trying to use black powder substitutes will just cause frustration.

Why? What's wrong with pyrodex?

Pyrodex will be difficult to ignite in a flintlock. Anything other than real black powder for main charge and prime will give you trouble. I know some shooters use a duplex load, but I don't need to make things more complicated and I'm already carrying enough stuff.

Why? What's wrong with pyrodex?
our op dex was made to be sold in stores with out the risk of black powder. Black has to be kept in a safe in a public store. The ignition for black powder is about 350f
Pyrodex is almost twice as high. I hot cap sets it off with no problem, but the flash in the pan just isn’t high enough
That’s why the duplex load is recommended

I have actually tried Pyrodex P for priming and the main charge in a flintlock and am not reciting something read on the internet. I’m one of them fellers that sometimes has to try things for hisself just to make sure they don’t work.

With a very good, very sharp flint, it would ignite about once every five times and then with a horrible hang fire. It just ain’t worth the trouble when real black can be ordered so easily.

I sometimes use substitute powders in percussion guns only because I bought a bunch of the stuff before I learned the truth about real black powder and hate to waste anything. If I had it to do over, I’d never bought any substitute powders.

Last edited:
I plan on using pyrodex rs for my main powder. Problem is I can't get 4f black powder for the priming pan. Will pyrodex p work just as well?
Use only black powder or you will be frustrated with hand fires. As far as 4f get some screen door screen and make it however fine you want it a pound 4f will last you and your family a lifetime

I used Pyrodex RS in the pan to test locks, used it in a Spain lock and a homemade flint. It ignited good. I also tried it in a Hy-Hunter and a Trapper. Never had any hang fires. If my lock and flint ignite the RS, it sure won't have any problem igniting 4f.
Try it and see. Although its not recommended, I believe your not going to hurt anything.

DO NOT USE PYRODEX IN A FLINTLOCK!
Otherwise your next post will be about no ignition or poor ignition.
PYRODEX should not be used in a flintlock.

Yes. I use 2f (real black) for main charge and prime and I also use 3f for main charge and prime since I have both.

Don’t worry about not having 4f.

(Unless you’re shooting smooth bores in the England🤭)
The difference in ignition time is so slight as to be beyond human ability to detect any difference. Totally agree with Banjoman; don't worry! :)

Back