• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking Opinions on a Recent Kibler SMR Purchase Experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did well getting out of “A Bad Situation “ I betcha if you ordered a kit you could do a much better job than that!!!
Thanks, Reds. A Kibler kit is definitely in my future. I’ve had a little experience browning and torch-bluing hardware as well as refinishing stocks and have been reasonably happy with the results. It’s difficult as a husband and father of four young kids to find the time to commit to a project like that though… just the season of life that I’m in right now!

Yes I think you should of been informed of the break and the crack. But I give credit to the seller for making it right by refunding your money.

I’m certainly grateful for the refund— just not the manner or circumstances in which it was given. You’d have to be a real scumbag to refuse a refund after neglecting to disclose issues with the item you’re selling, right?

I didn’t want to name this individual for fear of the fallout that might follow. It should be noted, however, that he isn’t a “nobody” putting together Kibler kits on his kitchen table. He’s a rather well-known name in the community and is generally well-respected. He was by me, too, up until recent events. You would all probably be shocked if I name-dropped.

Last edited:
I know this is a little off topic, but I question why you did not just build an SMR yourself?

I say this because I am not a woodworker, not a metal worker, generally a klutz with tools and only seem to be skilled with words. However, I built one which is being used by Mr. Kibler on his website as an example of what can be built. Photo in the SMR description on pegs in a window.

So, if I could do it, I pretty much think ANYBODY could do it by logical inference.

The Doc is out now. 😎

Barrel finish is certainly preference. That "antiqued" (rusted) looks like bloody hell to me. If I want a historic firearm that's corroded I'll buy one, but I don't want a new one to look like that before I've had the chance to put my own honest wear on it!

On the .32 SMR, which was my second build, I went with a "new" rifle. I polished all the steel excessively with Mother's and a high-speed polishing ball. I cleaned it up on a bench wheel till it was near a mirror finish before rusting the hell out of it over a steaming bathtub. I could tell right away that the rust was far more even and thick than on my first build. After dunking in the boiling water the blue/black that it came out was better than I could have hoped for. It also has an exceptionally highly figured maple stock, and instead of a traditional oil finish I wanted to keep it very light so the figure popped, and after hitting with the feric I gave it multiple coats of high gloss spar varnish. Not trad at all, but I am super happy with the way it came out. I will try to remember to take some good photos and post them.

I know this is a little off topic, but I question why you did not just build an SMR yourself?

It’s not that I’m not capable— it’s just not feasible for me right now at this stage of my life. I’m a husband with a list of “honey-do’s” a mile long, father to four kids ranging from ages seven to 12 months, and both myself and my kids are involved in extracurricular activities that take up a great deal of our time.

Heck, I’d also rather be out there shooting with what little free time I’ve got!

Understood Second Rate. Though I would also argue with you that being a hubby and father to four kids makes you a First-Rate if you are doing it right, which it sounds like you are. :thumb:

The doc is out now. 😎

I think the seller went well out of their way to make it right by you and should be commended for doing so. Though perhaps the manner in which it was done might leave something to be desired in your opinion, I'd very much doubt you would have had the same outcome of being rather instantly made whole if it was the case of a similar situation on a Gunbroker-auctioned item.

I think the seller went well out of their way to make it right by you and should be commended for doing so. Though perhaps the manner in which it was done might leave something to be desired in your opinion, I'd very much doubt you would have had the same outcome of being rather instantly made whole if it was the case of a similar situation on a Gunbroker-auctioned item.
I’m sorry, but I tend to disagree with you here. I think the click of a “refund” button hardly constitutes “going well out of their way”, but I digress.

A refund in an instance like this is a reasonable expectation, I should think— not a gracious and benevolent act on behalf of the seller. Though money exchanged hands, the gun did not.

Even after I pointed out the knot/inclusion (and even a possible crack) forward of the lock, the seller insisted it didn’t exist.

Listen… I’m not trying to absolve myself here. I clearly should have exercised more care and not been so hasty with my purchase. Caveat emptor, right? In my defense, I had dealt with this gentleman before and purchased two other kit builds from him; I’d come to expect a certain level of quality from his work.

Attachments

• 74942777592__ADBA02D2-DD7F-4E2D-A4D5-486218C4FB1E.jpeg
    74942777592__ADBA02D2-DD7F-4E2D-A4D5-486218C4FB1E.jpeg
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    405.5 KB
Last edited:
Back