• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper cleaning of percussion gun with drum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cut away diagram makes me wonder if putting the breech end of the barrel in my ultrasonic cleaner might be a good way of cleaning out the drum’s flash channel and powder dish that my swabbing isn’t addressing very well... thought’s?

If you are putting the breech end of your barrel in a tub of water with a squirt of dish soap, you will be cleaning the breech as effectively as any ultra sonic cleaning system. Use rubbing alcohol or WD40 to displace any water left in the bore. Lubricate with a good rust inhibiting lubricant and store with the muzzle down.

Hi folks, I just bought a CVA Mountain rifle and I am gathering up a few items, # 11 caps etc., in anticipation of shooting this Spring. I thought I would as the experts out there a few questions about cleaning suggestions. I have an 1853 Enfild repo. That I shot for years and clean religiously. Thing is, though, I have never messed with a percussion gun that has a drum. I clean the Enfield by removing the nipple (which I place in the bucket of hot,soapy water), screwing a brass, slotted attachment onto my rod. Then I thread a piece of rag through the eye of the slot, soak with the soapy water, and start plunging. Most of the time I precede this with a rag soaked with powder solvent, to loosen the fouling up.I even have a rubber tube with an end that can be screwed into the nipple hole so that liquid running out of the barrel won't run down the gun and stain the wood. OK, that being said, you can see where I am in my knowledge of cleaning the barrel........But. there is no drum on an Enfield. So, I am sure I must remove the nipple first, but then what? Does anyone take out that drum? What about that screw, it's a clean out screw right? Should it come out? Then there is the whole other problem of the powder chamber(breech). I understand it is a smaller diameter than the bore. How can I be sure it's cleaned? How can I be sure that its dryed out when I am done? I always run dry rags at last, but how can these get into that chamber? OK, that's plenty enough to get this rolling. Forgive, me if there is a thread already out there that deals with these questions, I searched a little, but no real results. Any advise is much appreciated, Bucky
I need a replacement CVA clean out screw for Mt. Rifle; a regular small 10-32 works fine, but looks a bit out of place.

I need a replacement CVA clean out screw for Mt. Rifle; a regular small 10-32 works fine, but looks a bit out of place.
I believe that the threads are metric. The 10-32 are close but the 10-32 is slightly smaller in diameter than the 5 x 0.75mm (33.8 threads per inch)

The # 10 threaded fastener is 0.1900" in diameter and the 5mm is 0.1969" in diameter.
With 32 threads per inch for the US size compared to the 33.8 threads per inch for the metric.

You should really get the 5mm x 0.75 mm threaded fastener to properly close off the drum.

In my opinion, the 10-32 does not work fine.

Back