• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdm101

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This has probably been asked a dozen times but here goes. Can you use a bp substitute as long as you use real pb to prime with?

While I personally don't recommend using Pyrodex in a flintlock, I can't say that it can't be done.

It's more complicated than using black powder in the pan. You need to load a starting charge of real black powder before you load the substitute powder. So for a black powder equivalent load of 70 grains volume, first you load 5 to 10 grains of black powder then 65 or 60 grains volume of the substitute powder. Now you can prime with real black powder and have a reasonable expectation of sending your ball down range.

colorado clyde said:
The question was....

Can you use a bp substitute as long as you use real bp to prime with?

Not whether he could use a duplex load....

:redface: HMMMM you are correct Clyde :thumbsup: We edjukated him anyways. Weuns is like ol wifes (good uns) we knows what ya asked not what ya said :rotf:

obidiah said:
This has probably been asked a dozen times but here goes. Can you use a bp substitute as long as you use real pb to prime with?

As others have said, no. While it may fire occasionally, you can't count on it. I have some Pyrodex that was given to me long ago. Although I've kept promising myself I'd try it in my percussion but so far; I have not. I did try it in a revolver and wasn't impressed.

I have two or three pounds of Pyrodex that I've acquired over the years. I bought some when it first came out years ago and have gotten a couple more pounds as parts of trades etc. I use it in my cap and ball revolvers mostly because it seems to ignite well with the straight shot of fire from the nipples. For hunting and serious stuff I use BP.

I have one of two choices,,quit shooting/hunting or use Pyrodex.Not about to give up either,so with NO BLESSED BLACK POWDER,I shoot Pyrodex.Would be great to live in the Land of Plenty but I don't.Still have not found any problems with Pyrodex,, other than the chosen few don't use it and look down their nose at those that do..
If our sport is to continue to be ,we better start changing the way we think,of as we die off the end will/is coming down.
I don't care if you shoot a chrome barreled,laser sight and electronic ignition so long as it keeps our sport going, so be it.Not my way,
see you up the trail,life is easier if you plow around the stumps.

One day I might drive to the powder house here in Maine and try some Blessed Black Powder.Just appears to be a lot of extra work,,just me.Few clubs in my area so Gravel Pit Range is where I shoot with a very few other shooters.
Anyone know of a BP source in Central Maine.

You can save time and money by ordering at least 5 pounds from suppliers. I've been ordering 25 can cases, sometimes along with a friend to split the cost.

There is nothing wrong with shooting Pyrodex or any of the subs in percussion guns. Even priming with black results in too many FTF. No one here on this forum, to my knowledge, looks down their nose at the use of substitute powder. It is a God send for those who simply cannot get black. But many in the forum simply do not like using the subs, myself included. In my case it's because all but two of my guns are flint.

Use what you can acquire and consider ordering your BP.

Back