• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R.E.A.L. Bullet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwestvang

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I bought a double cavity mould for the .50 REAL bullet. Loved the look of it but man it shoots bad. Tried loads from 80 - 110 and it's all over the target.

Went back to the TC Maxiballs and they group great.

Has anyone had trouble getting these to shoot well?

Mike

I could not get the .50 cal REAL 320 grain to shoot in an old 1:28 twist no matter what I did.
Same thing with .54 cal 300 and 380 grain in 1:48 twist rifles. The story changed when I got a 1:32 barrel for the .54 cal. That barrel shoots the 300 grain pretty good but the 380 grain are tack drivers. Using a felt wad under a REAL helps a ton. I think REAL's can be about the most picky bullets out there. They take a lot of work to get them to shoot. What they are made of has a LOT to do with it. They should be cast from the purest lead you can get your hands on.

HD

No, I've had some promising results with it. I use 70 gr loads tho, but still experimenting with it in my .50. are you using pure lead? interested also in the twist of your rifle?

I tried them in .45 1-48 TC Sencea, couldn't get them to hit good, gave up on them and went back to RB. Dilly

A friend of mine gets good results with the 380 grain REAL out of his .54 CVA Hawkens with a 1 in 48" twist barrel. He's using 70 grains of FFFg Goex and crisco for lube. I'm hoping to the same, or better, out of my .54 T/C Hawkens. Like Dawg said, you have to find the right combination.

Yup. Pure lead, good lube, and felt wads. Also be sure and have a good hot mould and hot lead for clean pours. Any that don't look perfect should go back in the pot. I'd go so far as weighing the bullets for consistency. Dandy, dandy bullet when you work out the kinks, but it's not going to shoot well if you get sloppy.

I have tried the Lee REAL .50 Cal 250 grain My .50 GPR flint does only ok with them but funny thing is my Cap lock .50 GPR loves them. Go figure, well they say every gun is different.

I have a 320 real mold,and it shooots as well as the round ball does in my .50, 70 grains of shcuezten fff, lubed with crisco shoots 1.5 inch @ 50 yards easily.Gun is a investarms hawken.

I was the same way. I saw them and thought wow this will be great...but I could not get them to group in any of my guns fast twist or slow. :cursing:

I cast a ton of 'em in .50 and could never get one to shoot in my T/Cs. Tried every lube & grease I could round up, paper wads, vegetable fiber wads, felt wads, no wads. They look great, and I'm sure in the right rifle shoot great, but I didn't have the right rifle I guess.

Maybe that's what cured me of conicals? :hmm:

We have shot them in all three of our Hawken 50s. One is TC and the others are Cabelas. All have 1-48 twists. They shot fair in only one gun but the Maxi's shot groups half the size.

Need to try the wad though.

Mike

made a can of real bullits years ago did not like them at all...ROUND BALLS FOR EVER and only RB's :thumbsup:

Back