• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ram rod end came off in barrell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The brass end on my ramrod came off while swabbing the barrel at the range. Now it is stuck in the barrel with the swab and it is tight. It is not loaded. It is a 50 tc hawken. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

I was thinking it might be possible to put powder in the nipple port with the nipple off, then put the nipple back on, cap it and fire it... Is that crazy?

A few grains of powder should do the trick. Aim it in a safe direction and say goodbye to the ramrod end.

Another thought just came to mind. Once I had that happen and got the idea to try a bronze brush, I think it was a .45 cal, on the end of a cleaning rod. The brush went inside the ramrod tip after a little poking around and I shoved it down tight. Then the bristles grabbed the end tight enough to pull the ramrod end out. Might work for you, or maybe I just got lucky. :idunno:

Jethro224 said:
A few grains of powder should do the trick. Aim it in a safe direction and say goodbye to the ramrod end.

Might be able to recover it if you shoot it into soft sand or dirt.

Lesson here is to ensure that all your ramrod ends are crosspinned. Not all manufacturers do this, and the glue some use isn't nearly good enough. Many oldtimer shooters need a reminder to properly crosspin their rod ends, too, so it's not just newbies disease.

If a slightly undersized brush won't twist into the rod end opening, you can shoot it out. A lot of people use too much powder & lose the end.

It only takes 2-3 grains of powder to launch your stuck rod end. Fire it into a cardboard box or paper shopping bag filled with shredded paper or old packing material & you can easily recover it without having to search all over an open field for it.

Put some epoxy on the inside of the ramrod and push it back on. Let it harden and twist it off. Then get a solid rage rod thread it back on and pull it out.

If it were mine, I'd work about 5 grains of powder down thru the flame channel that runs from the nipple to the chamber and fire it out.

Yes, 5 grains of powder will shoot the ramrod tip thru a wall or the ceiling but a bucket of water or a bag of cat litter should stop it.

I have "shot" them out with an air compressor and a tip that just barely fit the flash hole. Make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, I put a cleaning jag through a sheetrock wall.

If you shoot it out in your garage, It will take more than a sheet of 5/8 drywall and a 1/2" of plywood to stop it :haha:

I have shot quite a few out just the way you described. never thought of a bucket of water. but a big bag full of leaves works good or wood shavings or even sawdust.

I shot a stuck jag out once into the dirt.....it went in farther than I could feel with my finger.
I dug and dug ....but no jag... :idunno:

Kinda like the time I was cleaning up a button jag on a wire wheel, and the wheel ripped it out of my fingers.......still haven't found it.... :haha:

Make sure all of the dirty cloths are yours.

Wives take a very dim view of having holes shot thru their garments and there's no reasoning with them about it. :yakyak:

Dogs on the other hand are totally understanding.
If you use the dogs bed to stop the jag they will just wag their tail and look at you as if to say, "Nice shot boss!" :grin:

Jethro224 said:
Yeah... until the wife gets home... :cursing: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

"if" I had ever needed to that I am guessing there were, I mean wouldn't be any holes in any clothing. Of course I didn't, errr...wouldn't shoot with whites on top of the pile. After all I'm no dummy! :blah:

Shoot it out. Do you have or know anyone with 4fg? That always works best for me.

I had a beauty a few weeks ago. I saw a nice boar pig so grabbed my bag and gun and did a quick load and snapped the end off my rod. No problem just put the two pieces on top and rammed it home.

Got a couple of roundballs into the boar and found him very much alive and unhappy in the long grass, sun had set. Did a quick load with my two piece broken rod. Forgot to check if both pieces came out after I seated the ball. At the shot heard a terrible whistling sound which was gas coming out the flash hole. Effectively I jammed a roundball up into the brass ramrod tip and wooden rod which was halfway up the barrel. Pig still chomping his tusks, no gun.

It ended ok but got a little medieval! Later I debreached the rifle and used a steel rangerod to push the lot out, with some help from a hammer!
Barrel was unscathed and works fine but a cheap lesson nonetheless.

Zonie said:
If it were mine, I'd work about 5 grains of powder down thru the flame channel that runs from the nipple to the chamber and fire it out.

Yes, 5 grains of powder will shoot the ramrod tip thru a wall or the ceiling but a bucket of water or a bag of cat litter should stop it.

tomtom sez make sure he's not using it at the moment......
marc n tomtom

Back