• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Stainless steel Range rod, By Treso, came with a synthetic Muzzle protector. I also wipe the rod after each use, to keep grease and dirt, and grit out of the barrel. I have used it for more than 30 years now, and have no ill effects on any barrel. My T/C short starter comes with a brass muzzle Protector on the long stem. Again, it gets wiped off after each use, and the muzzle protector is cleaned along with my gun(s) when I get home. No harm done there, except some "grooves" on the brass protector from slamming into the muzzle. The grooves are in the brass protector, not the steel muzzle.

I have helped other shooters with Filthy hickory ramrods clean them off, and have felt the grit and dirt that was sticking to the wood, or lodged in the wood from contact with the grease.

I have no doubt that if such cleaning "habits- or lack of them-- were as common back when iron was the metal used to make barrels, That these wooden ramrods would damage the muzzles in the way I have seen on hundreds of old guns over the years.

The Current steel barrels used resist even this abuse fairly well, but given enough time, and neglect, some wear will begin to show even on these muzzles.

Latest posts

Back