• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raw wool instead of flax tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?.. what is that

An essay.. like that's what I'm looking for.. high school book reports

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240930_191420_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240930_191420_Chrome.jpg
    255.8 KB
Indians were known to use worn out wool blankets as wadding, along with grass, leaves and anything else that would hold a ball down. Wait until people realize that for a decent period of the flintlock era patched ball used linen and membrane more than cotton. Wait until certain people hear that it wasn’t exactly unheard of to tie a patch around a ball and keep them in their bags.

I'm just wondering how.. this wool works good today?

And now because of a whatever he posted.. it was no good back then?

I mention. The maybe used that. Good range reports. I used it in my Shotgun.. modern wool wads though. They worked good.

I say yea maybe right.. they used that then too..

This guy's jumping up my..

I'm just wondering how.. this wool works good today?

And now because of a whatever he posted.. it was no good back then?

I mention. The maybe used that. Good range reports. I used it in my Shotgun.. modern wool wads though. They worked good.

I say yea maybe right.. they used that then too..

This guy's jumping up my..
Wool works because it’s usually a bit thicker when woven, especially blankets, it is naturally fire resistant which helps when blasted out of something that uses an explosion for power.

Dude what source did you post.

It's like a not even a sentence 😕
Click on the word "HERE" in my post. It's a link. The book title is below (and is from 1791, not 1797.)

An Essay on Shooting: Containing the Various Methods of Forging, Boring, and Dressing Gun Barrels ... Remarks on the Properties and Action of Gunpowder ... the Methods of Training Pointers--and a Short Description of the Game of this Country ... The Whole Interspersed with Summary Observations on the Various Subjects of the Sport

Wool works because it’s usually a bit thicker when woven, especially blankets, it is naturally fire resistant which helps when blasted out of something that uses an explosion for power.
We're talking about raw, unwoven wool.

As for patches tied around balls, I believe this was the origin of bullet boards- to hold the patch and ball together and facilitate sewing the patch closed. Pop them out, put them in the bag, less to fumble with in the field.

We're talking about raw, unwoven wool.

As for patches tied around balls, I believe this was the origin of bullet boards- to hold the patch and ball together and facilitate sewing the patch closed. Pop them out, put them in the bag, less to fumble with in the field.

You know.. now I have to sew these things up?

What's the patch knife for?

Back