• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-Acquainted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate c

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I owned/shot a TC 45 Hawken in the mid 80's when I was in high school. I haven't so much as fired one since.

After lurking on the board for awhile and reading bits here and there I stumbled on what I think was a decent deal today and bought a .50 Traditions percussion hawken kit for $159.

Looking forward to assembly and getting out and shooting it some this winter. Next fall we are going for Deer and Elk in OR and/or WA.

Nate

Glad to hear you are back into muzzleloading. I started 2 1/2 years ago with a T/C Hawken I picked up in a pawn shop. It's a blast.

:grin:

Robert

I am new also and I dont see me ever turning back. Its been the most fun Ive had shooting in a long time. :v

Once yer here,ya caint leave! :nono: I started back in the late '70s and due to personal reasons had to set aside this VERY large part of my life a couple of years ago :cursing:.Just recently returned and life could not be better! The folks who are involved in this lifestyle are more than freinds,most are family.
Some folks I haven't seen for years and when we met again, It was like we saw each other yesterday, no ball bustin' as to where I've been, just are things good and do ya need anything! Amazing bunch of charecters :haha:

Pathfinder

Thanks guys.

I'm off to the woodshop to get some shaping and carving tools today.

Then I need to figure out if I can brown this bbl in the oven at home.

Nate

Go for it Nate

The only thing I can say is if you can imagine it you can do it. good luck :thumbsup:

Glad to see ya decided to give 'er a go again. Hope you're able to draw a tag for Muzzle Loader season! :thumbsup:

By the way - if your Traditions Hawken is anything like mine, you'll be very, very pleased with its performance. There's a great big pile of venison down in my freezer to back up that claim too! :haha:

Hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do.

Yup - I have a few points in OR right now so I'm hoping to find something in the Malheur / Murderer's Creek / John Day area for Deer.

I'm thinking of doing a WA side hunt with a friend of mine who lives across the river. If I'm reading the regs correctly you can hunt up there with a 'general' mz season (no lottery). Its more than a little bit expensive, but it may be something to try out.

What part of OR are you located?

Yeah no kidding. I'm going to guess this stuff might stink just a little.

I wonder if our oven's self-cleaning feature extends to Birchwood Casey Gun Brown compound? :thumbsup:

nate c: If you have any questions about building your kit be sure to go over to the "Builders Bench" and ask away. :)
Some of the best builders in the world are regulars there and they will all help you with any question you have.

Sounds like you have a good shot at a tag. I'm in Central Oregon. Usualy hunt the Santiam or Metolius units. I'm also shooting a Traditions Hawken Woodsman in .54 cal. Shoots better than I can! :winking:

Thanks again everyone - The builders bench forum does look like it has a lot of good information.

Nate

Back