• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real World smoothie/roundball accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally had most of a day off from work, first since the end of May. My Leonard Day Dutch Trade gun was just begging to be shot. I got a six inch off hand group at fifty yards, I had one flyer that was me not the gun or it would have been closer to four inches. I did manage a 12 inch benched group at 100 yards once, but only once.

With practice, that 50 yard group will get smaller. But not much smaller--maybe down to 4". That will take a deer cleanly and humanely.

I'm still working on my 140 yard groups. I have no trouble getting the balls to fly that far and I can see the target clearly. So far, I have managed a nice tight one shot group, but it was 3 feet low and 5 feet to the right. Hopefully this will improve with practice or as I develop better fibbing skills... :rotf:

Hello Kirrmiester. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I have had some success with my .54.
I have never used more than 80gr of powder for a load even when hunting. The wano is a very good powder IMHO. Never used an over powder wad just a plain old patch of "real" pillowticking that is .20 thick and a .530 ball.
Someone told me back when I first started that muzzleloading ain't rocket science. So, since then I have always tried to keep it simple. Its a hell of alot more fun :thumbsup:

I think if you get to where you can keep 4 of 5 shots on a 8" target at 75 yds offhand you are doing really well. :thumbsup:

OK then 149 yds crosswind and dog pullin at me leg...Oh alrite tellin truth
Had fun today ,at 25 yd ,with ol lipsplitter ,1st time since JD fixed my lock ,and with help from Paul V.
this is an Indian Bess far as we can tell.
so 90 gr 2F ,with 732 ball an paper patch ,spit lube,no cleanin between shots(as I had wrong jag on ramrod,Darn I hate when that happens
shootin002.jpg

after three shots,took a look at target,then took a look at my roof ,Ok that blackpowder is not black,Oh well target looks better
shootin001.jpg

Day 2
shootin003.jpg

1,2,3 90 gr 2F without a card 732 ball ,15 thou patch...4,5,6,7 same but with a card wad
Good day lock worked great thanx JD an PV
Pewter

Back