• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight on my 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky5042

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all
I was thinking of fitting an adjustable rear sight to my uberti 1858 new army revolver and I have some questions :) it is a standard model with no rear sight so can I fit one and if so how would I need to go about it? are there any vids online showing one being fitted and could I do the job my self? what type of adjustable sight would you recommend and why?
Thanks

Rick

Thanks Dave :) I hope its possible as the target version has an adjustable rear sight so im hoping there is a way :)

Rick

Any number of them have been milled and fitted with the Smith & Wesson adjustable rear sight used on the K & N frame guns. It's a modern style but fits with a minimum of work.

Shoot it as-is and go buy the adjustable model if you need an adjustable sight. No sense in spending $100 or more on a $179 gun, only to turn it into a $50 junker when it doesn't work out right.
The fixed sight model is capable of very fine accuracy as-is. Are you up to it?

When you put a rear sight on the top of the Remington you need a really tall front sight. If you look at the Target models they have a HUGE front sight. I have 2 of them and my rear sight is as low as it will go and they still shoot high.

Hi
ok thanks guys I will leave well alone :) I will just have to get more practice down the range wont I :grin: its a hard job but il manage :blah:

Rick

Jim Gibson said:
My sights on my 58 shoot low
If it's a Pietta, of course it will shoot low - they put that big, honkin' tall front sight on, so you can fine tune it with a file.

Don't overdo it, & file off a little at a time with a NEW and SHARP file :grin: Spend plenty of time first working up your most accurate load, too.

I set up one of my favorite 5.5" .44's to shoot dead on at 25 yards.

Hi its a uberti with an 8" barrel and iv seen pics of both and yes the front sight is smaller on the uberti so il use mya rest to steady it and see where it shoots before I start to adjust anything :)

Rick

Yeah all my stock 58s do also, both my target versions shoot way high because the rear sign is so big up off the back strap.

They tried to make the front taller on the target to make up for it but its not enough.

Maybe if he adds a rear sight he will get lucky and it will just work but i doubt it.

Have an Uberti 58 Remington with an adjustable sight that shot about 8 inches high with the rear sight bottomed out. I called Dixie where I got the gun and Jamie suggested I file down the top of the rear sight. The blade is removable. With some filing I got it to shot dead on at 15 yards with a six o'clock hold on a B8 target. I am normally a point of aim, point of impact shooter, but I am very happy using the six o'clock hold for target shooting.

I did some of the filing at home, then took the file to the range and did the final work while testing the gun. I have a friend who has a Pieta with an adjustable sight and it shoots ways high too. Why do they make these adjustable sight guns so that they shoot so high???

Anyway, the only solution is to file down the top of the rear sight or get a taller front sight.

I have and older Pietta target in .44 and it adjusted to point of aim without having to alter either front or back.
I would just add a brass insert to the top of the existing blade and file down to suit, if it shoots high. Mike D.

How do you do that? Is it something you just add to the existing front sight? Can you buy it somewhere?

I solder on a small brass block to the top of the original sight and then file the addition back to the original sight profile.
This adds height and shows up well, up front. Mike D.

Back