• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reasons for small bore MLers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
The important thing is the caliber if the hunter, not of the gun.

Spence
That's it in a nutshell! When asked, I tell pepole that a .45 is minimum for deer. I say that only because we've had some spectacular failures down here by those who don't know shooting or animal anatomy. I was the guy who had to track them down adn humanely kil them so it's kind of a thing with me. I aslo say I can count on one hadn the hunters I know that I'd trust with a .40 adn also needd to preface it with teh statement that to my knowledge I've never hunted with anyone on this forum adn so can't speak for skill and ability of anyone here...just so no one takes offense. Spence hit it on the head. We hae many many deer poached her with .22 Shorts so it's not a matter of needing heavy knock down power. Marksmanship and a knowledge of animal anatomy is the ticket! OK...end of sermon...please turn to page 57 in your hymnals! :wink: :haha:

Wes/Tex said:
OK...end of sermon...please turn to page 57 in your hymnals! :wink: :haha:
Pheww! Had me worried there for a moment. I thought you were going to say 'pass the collection plate'. :haha:

Spence

So I am the fella that started the thread about a 40 cal. As fairly new to the ML game I was just wondering if it could be a do all. From what I have read so far it would be real marginal for deer or larger. I agree that a great placed shot will do the trick but a hole on both sides sure does make for easier tracking. I So I figure I will just have to get two flinters :grin:

one thing not mentioned is load
a 36 or 40 'loaded for bear' (2 round balls) with a stout powder shot is going to hit much harder than a simple PRB with normal powder load

also there are conicals to consider
I'd feel better shooting a deer with a .40 heavy conical than I would a .45 PRB, If the rifle can stabilize the bullet...

Now I have only shot 1 deer with a BP fire arm. So my field knowledge is limited.

George said:
The important thing is the caliber if the hunter, not of the gun.

Spence is spot on. A .36 caliber is legal for deer and black bear, in Tennessee, but that doesn't make it the best choice. I would not shoot a bear with a .36, (except in self defense), and I would not shoot a deer with a .36, unless it was close, (25-30 yards), and presented a perfect shot......robin :idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
I settled on a .40 for the flint poor boy I have on order for a number of reasons. I always wanted a small bore for small game and target work, but decided if a .36 was good, a .40 would be a bit better and a little more wind-resistant out to 100 yards. It also made sense because of our .40 minimum for deer and antelope here in Oregon, not that I plan on it being a dedicated deer rifle -- but I could use it if I matched it to the right terrain and tactics.
Whether I ever actually use it for deer will depend on what I think of it after I have had it in the field.
Heretofore, I have generally carried a .54 percussion rifle.

Any caliber of muzzleloader is now legal in Kentucky. I've killed one nice buck with my .40, have decided to take a deer with my .30 this year.

Film at eleven. :grin:

Spence

Spence, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your .30 if you have any on file.

What an object of perfection -- and a Bill Large barrel to boot. Spence, no one can question your bona fides or long experience. I am sure you will kill your deer quickly and cleanly. Reading your report will be a highlight of my fall.

What was it the wise ones used to say, don't count your deer until they are hatched. :haha:

Spence

George said:
What was it the wise ones used to say, don't count your deer until they are hatched. :haha:

Spence
Would that be the Kentucky State Deer Hatchery? :wink:

One reason to like small bores is;
In smoothbores they seem to be more accurate than large caliber smoothbores.....

I suspect that smoothbores are also the reason for guns of the golden age having such long barrels......longer shoots better in a smoothbore when compared to what is achievable with a rifled barrel of much shorter length.....or even against a pistol.
At least that's been my experience..... :grin:

Britsmoothy said:
Luxourios Spence.
Amazing :hatsoff:

B.
Amen Brit! My personal take is "Spence's site and his posts here should be required reading! :wink: Had a young shooter post the heading pic from his site on another muzzleloading page and asked what everyone thought. By the time I was done patting ole Spence on teh back, you'd a thunk I was his agent! :wink: :rotf:

flehto said:
Yes it is...and we also don't live in a perfect world..."manure" happens.

Many of the posts following mine are correct....a perfect hit on an animal is lethal, but from my observations when deer hunting, many deer are just wounded and some never found.

Again....I'll repeat....helped hunters sight in their rifles at our club's annual "deer sight in clinic" and found that most hunters were lousy shots and the good shots were about 20%. Talked to other guys on the firing line and they said approx. the same thing. No wonder....because these poor shots only shoot once a year.

Naturally if a deer is hit in the leg w/ a .58 cal PRB, the chances of getting the deer are nil, but common sense would dictate that the larger cals. would do a better job than say a .40 w/ a so-so hit.......Fred

A manure shot can happen with any caliber. You are right that most people have no business in the woods with a gun. But, I disagree that larger calibers make up for the lack of hunter discipline.
A bad shot is a bad shot no matter the caliber. A bad shot with a .45 would still be a bad shot with a .62.

A counterargument could also be made that the opposite is true. Talking PRBs, the most efficient size for ballistics and trajectory is somewhere around .45 caliber. So, the smaller big game balls (.40-.50) should provide better shot placement than the larger calibers (in theory), reducing the chance of the manure shots.

As a quick aside, the other thing that drives me crazy that I see a lot even on these forums, is that hunting rifles do not need to be sighted in with the same level of effort as target rifles. Anyone who thinks that way, should stick to the paper targets and stay out of the woods, IMO.

Latest posts

Back