• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reenactors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee51848

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you like about reenacting in the era you've chosen? I'm still amazed when people ask to take my picture :redface: , and I guess I like interacting with them and the "opposition". And when we go to an actual historic site, I get thrilled. :thumbsup:

Wild....you live in a great area for reenacting. Here, locally, reenacting is mostly about shooting muzzleloading rifles with the historical aspects coming in second. I'd hate to have one without the other. However, there are opportunities for serious reenacting if one ferrets them out.

What I like best.....wow.....can that be told in a paragraph? For me it's experiencing, for a short time "the way it was". At least as close as it can be made in the 21st century. My time frame is 1804 Missouri so, for me, it's mostly about hunting. The best times are period camping with a friend or friends in conjunction with a hunt of some kind. Doing historical presentations for home shooled and public school kids and scout groups are also much enjoyed by me...and hopefully the kids. A friend of mine and I did one last Friday night and I believe everyone enjoyed themselves. Working as a volunteer at the Boone Home is also rewarding. Whether as a tour guide or just "hanging out" and responding to the public in a positive and period way. The local "rondy's" are a whale of a lot of fun too, even they are the broad period of "pre-1840". At least you get to shoot a lot and occasionaly I get to beat out the percussion shooters! Back in my mountain man days that's all I shot so there's a little satisfaction in it for me.....hehehe. I dunno.......I just like doing it!

Vic

While I enjoy the interactions with the "tourists" and also very much enjoy the interactions with like-minded reenacting associates and friends, what really attracts me to reenacting is more personal--the chance to recreate, even if only in a limited way, a period of my ancestors past, to try to re-live the history that I have loved from books only, and the "collecting" and use of period items and clothing: for example the long guns which I have admired since I was a small boy. My father instilled a love of history in me as a youth and a love of reading--now I can be more "interactive" in that love....

I just like to get into the period and do things the old way.
Then there's the fun of talking to the inevitable flatlander who will ask, "Is that a real fire?"

I re-enact a Landsknecht (German mercenary soldier) of 1547 at the Greater St. Louis Renaissance Faire. This year, several times each day, I will demonstrate loading and firing my matchlock caliver. I will also spend part of each day casting bullets.

Our RenFaire has a large (over 200) cast and we attract over 20,000 visitors. It is great fun improvising with both cast and visitors and living a very different life for a few days.

RefFaire shtick is different from many other re-enactments (but close to what is done at Plimouth Plantation). Visitors are free to snap all the photos they want, but if one asks me if he/she can take a picture, I have to repond "But I don't have any pictures to give you!" We do not acknowledge the existance of modern technology.

Yes, it is a real fire. Yes, that is real food being cooked and we will eat it at noon. Yes, it is a real gun and will shoot real bullets, No, I don't load a bullet when I demonstrate the gun. Why? Because I might hit something! Yes, that is a real sword. It is sharp.

Yes, that really is my tent and I sleep in it at night. Would you like to join me? Landsknecht are allowed two women at at time! But I am a Leutnant (lieutenant) and can get away with three.

I enjoy my picture bieng taken by tourists but I refuse when the person announces that he's a professional and wants to steal my image for his own profit. I feel so cheep when that happens

regards.

It's debatable as to whether or not I actually "reenact". The pros at it would say no. I also have nothing whatsoever to do with any get-together larger than the local gun club's trailwalk, held each year in preparation for deer season, to which those of us who hunt in "period" clothing wear our gear, since that's what we'll be wearing when we go in pursuit of the mighty whitetail. I also do most of my shooting in my hunting clothes, peeling off the outer layers as the weather dictates.

I'm not anti-social, by the way -- I just don't particularly care for groups of people, even when the vast majority of them share my interests and are potential friends waiting to be made.

I write fiction (though without success in the area of publication -- yet) about the Revolutionary War period, love firearms of all sorts, and grew up idolizing Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, and the mountain men. My "reenacting", such as it is, is an effort to not necessarily duplicate conditions of the 18th century down to the last thread count, but to get a "feel" for the period (i.e. carrying a flintlock rifle with a 43" barrel, and a shooting pouch and powder horn, rather than a T/C Hawken with a pocket full of speedloaders; trying to figure out how not to break my neck or freeze my toes off while wearing moccasins in the snow, instead of just putting on cozily insulated boots; coping with December cold in clothes made of original materials and fairly close to original patterns, instead of buying gore-tex and all the other stuff that Wal-mart would be happy to sell me -- that sort of thing) that will translate into my writing and also connect me to some small degree to my ancestors.

My efforts, by the way, have only served to instill in me an even greater respect for those forefathers than I began with -- not only for how they coped, but for the fact that, for all our use of the word "primitive" in describing events and equipment connected to them, what they used back in the day was, actually, pretty damned good.

And, like some of the others who've responded, on the occasions I have to come in contact with the modern age and the people who trudge blindly through it, I like answering the "Is that a real fire?" sorts of questions, and demonstrating when appropriate that, yes, a flintlock rifle shoots perfectly well, and, yes, you can reliably hit most anything you want to with one.

I get together with my friends and we set up a camp; dress in period clothes; do some military functions that organizers want done for the visitors and we have fun doing it all. Smoke, noise, fire, good food -- all shared with good friends.

Hmmm, when is our next event???

CS

:thumbsup: Hey Mongel! You certainly do reenact.
You just don't perform for an audience. Experiencing something of another era, even if just for yourself, is reenacting.

Just the sight of a rondy as evening falls, all that white canvas lit by candles and campfires. Good conversation with friends, supper in the pot, mug of your choice of potable. Troubles just melt away...

No kidding. Our annual rondy doesn't have cell phone service, no calls from work, no worries and a full belly and mug. I can't wait until this year. We have a 2 hind quarters from a wild boar coming up from FL. Tasty!!

Latest posts

Back