• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have heard the old Remington caps were so-so. Are the new ones better? Wally World has them marked down to $3.00/tin. The label says "33% Hotter". Been using RWS with no problem. Does changing caps affect accuracy in .50 - .58 round ball loads OR shotgun patterns?

I have used nothing but remington caps for two years and never had one fail to fire.
As far as accuracy changes I couldn't tell you but I don't see how it could affect accuracy that much.
One way to find out, try'em.

Huntin

BobJ,
i,ve used them with no problems!! for $3 you don't have much to loose why not try them?? i don't see how they would effect accuracy, very much if any. :imo: :results: :m2c:
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Bob,

The claim that the Remington caps are 33% hotter is correct.

CCI advertises that their Magnum caps are 20% hotter than a standard percussion cap. Then Remington advertises their Black Powder cap is 33% hotter than a standard cap.

What we see in these is simply an increase in the amount of primer composition used in each brand/type.
When you look at these over a chronograph with a "standard" charge configuration you see that going from a standard cap to the "Magnum" cap bumps up the muzzle velocity a bit. Then when you go to the Remington cap the velocity increase is even greater.
In my Lyman .50 caliber Trade Rifle the difference in muzzle velocity is almost 100 fps from the standard caps on up to the Remington caps.

If you use the three different caps with one of the bp subs, with higher ignition temperatures, you don't see this incremental increase in velocity that simply reflects the strength of the caps used.
To see any real jump in velocity with the different subs you must look at the hottest percussion cap compared to a 209 shot shell primer.

Just keep in mind that as the amount of primer composition is increased in the caps the greater the amount of cap primer residue that will build up around the nipple. With the Remington caps you will have to clean around the nipple more frequently compared to the weaker caps with less primer composition in each cap.
When the caps build up a residue cone around the nipple it becomes more difficult to seat the next cap fully onto the nipple.

Have heard the old Remington caps were so-so. Are the new ones better? Wally World has them marked down to $3.00/tin. The label says "33% Hotter". Been using RWS with no problem. Does changing caps affect accuracy in .50 - .58 round ball loads OR shotgun patterns?

Remington ignition products, whether shotgun, rifle, handgun, or muzzleloader primers, have always been low power, poor output levels all during my lifetime...I learned not to use them for trap & skeet reloading, not to use them for rifle & handgun reloading, and not to use them for muzzleloading.

IMO, Remington's claim that their primers are 33% hotter, probably only means they're 33% hotter than THEIR standard cap...and they finally caught up to the same performance levels of the rest of the #11 caps available...
::

Thanks for the info. Based on what you all are saying, new Remington caps must be OK. Roundball, I agree the old ones (mine are 1991 vintage)are weaker than comparble years CCI caps. So I figure why not give the new ones a try for mark-down price. ::

I've tried both the CCI "Magnum" caps and Remington's new "hotter" #11 caps. I didn't expect any real difference, but in my CVA, using 40gr 2F for a plink'n load, it was actually a bit more accurate with the Remington caps.

The Remington's, also, fit the nipple more snugly and didn't fly apart like the CCI's did.

I've only tried them in one rifle though; a different rifle may prefer the CCIs

I've been using Remington's and CCI's interchangably for more than 20 years. I don't notice any difference in ignition or reliability. The CCI's seem to feed and load better in my linear cappers, and I suspect the foil liner in the Remington cap might make it more weatherproof(?)

I'm happy to use either. The new Remingtons shoot to the same point (all else being the same) as the old caps.

The Remington's, also, fit the nipple more snugly and didn't fly apart like the CCI's did.

If I'm not mistake'n, the CCI's are designed to rupture fer easy'er removal after fire'n.

YMHS
rollingb

Only problem i have had with remengton caps is after the shot,and they always go off,is the cap fillement can be left in the nipple sum times.easyly removed with a pick or sum times a good rap with the nipple pointen down,but if you dont know its there it will plug the nipple the next shot.The remington caps fit the cvas the best,the dynimte noble caps fit the gpr the best and dont seem to have the problems of the fillement left over after the shot.

If I'm not mistake'n, the CCI's are designed to rupture fer easy'er removal after fire'n.

YMHS
rollingb

I'll certainly agree with that!

There was a couple of times, while using the CCIs that, after the shot, there wasn't any cap to remove...only a fragment that fell off when I put her back to half-cock!

The other thing that is nice about Remington, is that they are virtually waterproof. Get them wet, blow off the moisture and shoot them. No other cap have I found that can do that. :RO:

The short time that I have been using the Remington caps they seem to function well. I have been a flinter the last 24 yrs so I cant say how the old ones were .

I have used nothing but cci magnums since I first started shooting sootbuners with excelent results. :peace:
my friends have had some trouble with remingtons, but who knows if they cleaned the bore well enough before firing.

Dick, you hit the nail on the head! Some have trouble with 209 primers. That tells me something.

Remington cap update-
Tried the new Remington caps at the range, they worked great. After loading the GPR up at the hunting camp and leaving it loaded for 2 1/2 days, hunting in foggy damp conditions (droplets of water covered the barrel both mornings), thought I better shoot the load at a can and reload. Ignition was instantaneous! The caps fit the GPR nipple tightly and I leave a piece of leather between hammer and nipple when not hunting. Ended up buying some more caps at a N. Fla Wal-Mart for $2.00 a can!

Back