• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remove Old Linseed Oil Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfcbuf

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am planning to re-shape a rifle built 30 years ago and want to remove old linseed oil finish as a first step. Following the re-shaping, I will finish again with linseed oil.I am planning to use paint stripper to remove the original finish. Any comments about this method or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I answered you over on another site but would add that you should use wooden scrapers to remove the gunk after stipping makes the finish all goopy. The big challenge is the areas with no extra wood at all- lock panels, etc. Be careful there and do not level, sand or flatten them till everything else is done. If you lose some wood there, everything will be standing out of the wood. I'd use a water soluble stripper and wash the stock really well. Stay away from steel wooll if you do hope to use nitric as you say. A burlap bag, a wad of tow, or an unraveled ball of cheap hemp twine will be good for removing goop after scraping goop off with a wooden scraper, popsicle stick, etc.

Maybe try turpentine first, as it is made from wood, and if that does not work then go with the paint stripper or Varsol, which is made from petroleum. If it is a light coating and not very dirty you could probably just sand it off with some 120 grit or similar.

denatured alcohol should take it off like butter.. use rubber gloves outside.. try coarse steel wool, you must remove the steel wool particles from cracks etc, before it gets wet from water, or it will rust and leave black spots.. alcohol burns clean, and you cant see the flame, it can be absorbed by the skin..a pilot light from furnace or water heater, lighter, etc will light the fumes.. other solvents have other problems. .. dave..

To ffffg: Did you make the reference to alcohol burning only as a warning not to use it near flame? If Alcohol is used do you just let it evaporate or should it be washed off with the old finish.

Back