• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing Dry Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard (more than once) that there are two kinds of muzzle loader shooters, those who HAVE "dry-balled" and those who will !!!
N'est pas?!? :hatsoff:

BTW, my CO² unloader "gun" works just great!!! :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ditto on the CO2 discharger. Usually makes quick work out of a dryball. But I couldn't dislodge another shooter's ball that was only half way down the barrel a week ago. Guess there was just too much space for the gas to expand. Ended up pouring some liquid lube down the barrel to let the patch soak it up. Later was able to drive the ball all the way down and fire it. GW

NO, Bill. My face isn't red on those occasions when I march proudly into the hallowed halls of the HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRYBALLERS. I smile, and admit I must have taken one of those "STUPID PILLS" I have somewhere, instead of my morning vitamins. :grin: It nice to know that I am NOT so old to not occasionally do something I thought I had learned never to do again! Makes me feel human, and gives me something else in common with less experienced shooters. NO one gives you awards for the stupid things you do; you have to EARN THEM THE HARD WAY! :blah: :rotf: :hatsoff:

Oh, fair warning to new members of the HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRYBALLERS. You may be told to buy the first round of soft drinks at the end of a shoot as the "Price " of admission. If you do that, I am sure that your health will be toasted by all the other members present. I guarantee that you never knew how many friends you truly have until you join the Society. :rotf: :surrender: :thumbsup:

You all are the most good natured bunch of shooters I have had the honor to meet in all my years on the net.I'm very glad to have had the issues that brought me here for help.Thanks

Paul - I, too am a member of the Honorable Society of Dry Ballers. You don't get to poke fun at new members unless you've been there yourself, right? Anyhow, I say a CO2 discharger has been one my better purchases, and not just for clearing a dry-ball.

I had been attending and participating at rendezvous for about 15 years and was asked why I hadn't picked out a 'cool' camp moniker like all the other guys and gals in camp. I explained to the youngster that you didn't get to 'pick' your handle, but that you had to 'earn' it, usually by doing something stupid or, at least, unusual, and I hadn't done that yet. Still haven't figgered out why they call me what they do . . .

well, not a dryballer here but flash-in-the-pan-no-pick-baller (happened Saturday with my new Bess on her 2nd shot)

by the time i found a pick, the powder soaked so much humidity from the air (wasn't exactly raining - some sh**ty dripping from all sides) it wouldn't fire anymore - soaked it with ballistol to be sure and off to the gunsmith...

took him one hour trying different techniques from pressured air through pulling with a normal puller.

Finally he took a patch-puller-kinda thingie, screwed it onto a 1metre rod and step by step shredded the ball into pieces - my ball+Patch combo was too tight it seems :)

other example of stupidity nearly happened while we were chatting during our shoot on Sunday:

i had a "feeling" while i attempted to use my short starter on a patched ball already positioned on the muzzle - i didn't remember if i put powder in so i took the ball out and sent the ramrod down to check - to my surprise, it stopped half way - there was a ball i sent 1 minute ago with my long starter...

I'm so glad to feel like I belong! :thumbsup:

I took my new-to-me T/C Hawken to the range today, and dry-balled my first shot. With an audience, of course... :redface: Had one of them fancy screw extractors, but that ball wasn't budging. I vaguely remembered reading a post here about removing the nipple, pouring a bit of powder in, replacing the nipple with a cap and shooting it out. So, I did.

Well, foolish me, I didn't think anything had come out of the barrel, so I put it away and switched to my 22, and made a day of it, figuring I'd resolve the problem when I got home. Lo and behold, the ball was gone!

Where do I apply to be a member of the HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRYBALLERS. It's kind of like the first scratch on a new car, you don't worry about making a fool of yourself any more.

There's three kinds of muzzleloaders: Them as has done it, them as will do it and them as has done it but don't fess up to it.

It's not a bad idea to practice with a purposely done one at home (with a suitable puller attachment or CO2 discharger already on hand, of course) so you know what to do when it happens at what will likely be a less convenient time.

I could hardly wait to join the HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRY BALLERS so I did it on purpose just to see if I could get the ball out using my corkscrew ball puller. Well I am happy to say it worked, so I tried it a few more times. Got one ball stuck so bad that I almost had to shoot it out. The wife had to hold on to the stock while I reefed on the loading rod. I got er out ok but it ended my expermentation. Does this count as being a member of the HONLRABLE SOCIETY OF DRY BALLERS?

Cheers & TIghter Groups: eaglesnester

Back