• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing wedge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alrod013

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it best to use a hammer of some sort to tap out the wedge on a rifle or a punch? Some say brass hammer or rubber or plastic. Others say use a punch. I know they make a tool for this made from steel, but won't that mark the gun?
:confused:

I used a wooden dowel from a craft store and it worked great getting the wedge partially out. Guess I could use a brass punch to knock it all the way out.

Is that T/C tool that is steel and has like a hammer on one end and claw on the other?

Any handy piece of wood pushes it out and then my finger nails do the rest. Mine aren't in that hard and don't shoot loose and they are all captured anyways.....Fred

I also use the t/c tool. tap it with the little hammer poll then pull it out with the claws. haven't boogered up any of my guns with it. only fault I have with it is the so-called nipple wrench end.

I make little tools that look just like the wedges, only thinner and have a groove cut in the end. But before I started using them, I would use a screwdriver (very carefully), popsickle stick, whittled down clothespin, or just some thin scrap of wood laying around. All carefully tapped with a small hammer.

I don't know about that tool with the claw on it. Kinda scares me. :shocked2: Bill

I like and use pop cycle sticks with the end cut flat to drive them out. It will fit right in the slot and won't scratch anything up. MD

I used to use a small screw driver to tap the wedge out. I never boogered up the gun doing it that way but I now have a wedge shapped piece of brass that I cut from the lower part of an artillery shell.

I am with Cynthialee on this one. I have never had a problem using the nipple wrench on the, hammer, wedge pin puller. For that matter it is the only one I use and have used. DANNY

Are the T/C tools still available? It looks just like a thing I need. I have done well with a small tap with a hammer and pulled with my fingers. A while I had one fall out so after snugging them up I now need to use something other than my fingers. Geo. T.

I agree, the TC tool is handy to have. Not only does it remove the wedge, but also the nipple. I'm always on the look out for another one at gun shows where they are often offered cheap. Same thing goes for the TC star seven capper. Last gun show I went to the guy just up and gave it to me, said no one would buy it anyway as people all use inlines now. The TC capper is not pc or hc, but works great in the woods or range.

Back