• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver timing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

454roundball

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read the "Do you strip your" thread with some interest, as doing so seems to have caused me a problem. I have a CVA Remington .31 pocket revolver, and after firing it the first time, I did, as is my usual routine, strip it down completely for cleaning. When I reassembled it, it was out of time. The bolt doesnt retract when the hammer is pulled back, so of course, the cylinder wont rotate. With the cylinder out of the revolver, the pawl and bolt seem to be operating as they should. The bolt is intact, both fingers unbroken and unbent. I knew to check this, because my Walker ate one of these, and I had to replace it.(I may be using the wrong terminology. By bolt I refer to the part of the action that engages the cylinder notches) Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

If it was working before, there are a couple of things to check....make sure the spring is pushing on the bolt correctly. Next, make sure the screw that secures the trigger/bolt spring is snugged down good. Make sure the end of the bolt is engaging the hammer correctly. Is there any debris under the bolt where the head rests on the frame? I don't strip my guns down completely except for maybe once a year. A good toothbrush/soapy water scrubbing followed by a hot rinse usually takes care of any fouling. Then when dry, a light oiling of parts; then replace the grips, cylinder and barrel assembly. It's worked for me for 36 years. I hope you find the answer to your problem; I don't think it is a basic timing thing.

Well, I took the thing apart again, checked all the things you suggested (thanks for the reply by the way) and I still have the same issue. However, I did note that with the cylinder out, the hammer goes far enough forward that the two fingers on the bolt spring back apart to parallel and everything operates. With the cylinder in, the hammer hits a nipple or the back of the cylinder at a notch, and the finger closest to the hammer remains at the slight angle that implies it is already cammed. Is this a timing issue? Do I need shorter nipples? Or a new bolt?

It sounds like the bolt/trigger spring is in backwards, or upside down, if you will. If the cylinder is indexing properly, there's no "timing" problem. The only other 2 things are a broken bolt, ie: the short arm that rides on the hammer lug ,is broken off or the bolt is not installed so the the bolt arm is engaging the hammer, which can happen when installing the bolt. The bolt arm must ride over, that is, be on top of the operating lug on the hammer. Hope this helps.

There is a little cam on the hammer that operates the bolt as you cock it. Then this cam lets the finger on the bolt slide over it on the way down...........I believe this part on some hammers is a separate part that is press fitted into the hammer..........Yours may have fell out...............Good luck..............Bob

It turns there was a tiny burr on the cylinder stop/bolt that sometimes caught on the frame, preventing full return of the stop. I removed this, and there it was. 15 rounds, no issues. Thanks to one and all for your replies.

Let me add a question to this thread. I had started a new topic but it seemed repetitive.
There's a revolver that I'm thinking about buying. The note about it is that it "occasionally" overtimes. What is that exactly? What could cause it?
Pete

Latest posts

Back