• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rice barrels........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
i tried to call them to order a barrel and i got a message that said this number has been disconected....does anyone have there contact information for them....just ordered my stock and need to get my barrel.......................bob

i have the web site....thats where i got the phone number from....but i keep getting a recording and it's not saying that whom i'm calling....is it that hard to get a hold of them............bob

I just dialed the number and got an answering machine recording. That's all the info I have on my machine at home ("We can't respond now, please leave a message.")

Granted, being a business he ought to at least let you know who you've reached, but at least it is ringing through. Leave a message. Even barrel makers take vacations. ::

I've tried to call them a number of times over the last month or more. Just a recording. Isuggest we keep an eye on this.

i left a message and guess i'll have to wait....but i want to order my barrel....the stock is ordered and i'm going to order the lock tommorrow....thanks all..............bob

I too was unable to get an answer when I tried to call them so I ended up ordering a barrel from Bill Moody who did return my calls. If they really wanted your business, they would have an open phone line or some other way to allow you to contact them. Know your target. Hank

I sent them an e-mail over a month ago and still have not recieved a reply from them.
I heard that at the time there was an ice storm that wiped out phone lines and such , but they should have been repaired by now.
I am like you , when you call a business and you get a recording you would at least think it would say the business's name in the recording. And that at the very least they would return your call in a reasonable time even if on vacation they can call back and access their mesages, and reply to them.

Woody

You probably have the right number.L.C has one of those generic messages on his machine.I talked to him a week ago.If he's around he usally calls back within a day.Keep trying his barrels are worth it.
mitch

You probably have the right number.L.C has one of those generic messages on his machine.I talked to him a week ago.If he's around he usally calls back within a day.Keep trying his barrels are worth it.
mitch

Tallbear: If you know how to get ahold of him, you might mention that some of his potential customers are getting concerned.
Maybe you could even talk him into joining this web site so he can give us an idea of what's really happening?

tallbear after emails and phone calls I think the man should call me. Makes me wonder what the service will be afterwards IF I purchase his product.
I never said his barrels weren't good. as far as quality I believe they are second to none But the fact remains .If your going to run a business like this my business will go elsewhere. Thanks You!

Woody

I understand the frustration but want to give a different perspective. The barrels you guys are seeking (Rice, Getz, Rayl, etc.) are not "factory" barrels in my mind (only my mind, probably). Same would be true of Chambers flintlocks, etc. This is not Green Mountain or whatever, and I am not disrespecting their products. In general, believe it or not, it's one guy in a shop who knows steel and machining and loves muzzleloading. So they jumped in and are trying to make a great product, almost a custom product. Sometimes they are custom proucts. Guess what? Because they are small, they don't have a large capacity, and if they are on the phone, they are not making barrels. Should it be that way? No- and if someone wants to take it offshore, I am sure we can get Chinese barrels of every dimension and configuration of excellent quality in truckloads at a better price.

If I wanted to build "this gun" now, I'd decide to order good quality, reliable parts available now. If I really want to build a top-notch gun with top-notch parts, I try to put myself in the mindset of the colonial gunsmith. "That darn ship was supposed to sail from Liverpool in December and deliver the barrels and locks to Philadelphia by January 12. Then old Hezekiah was supposed to load his wagon and get me my order by the 18th. I bet that old cuss stopped at the Blackbird Inn and is still there drinking swill!"

I will tell you this, keep it in mind or not. If I was one of these guys who are making top-quality parts, and struggling to make deadlines, on my own in a small shop with all I could do to make a small profit, having invested everything in the business and obviously having a tough go of of it, I could probably care less what some folks were saying on the internet while I was profiling another barrel. Some of these guys are about ready to pack it in. And if/when they do, the next custom level barrel maker will be charging $350 for nice swamped barrels. And 15 years down the line, he'll be burned out too.

We are pretty confused sometimes, schizophrenic. We love the old ways and old things but want somebody to answer the phone now and the UPS truck to deliver the good on time.

Done preaching- hope you'll take it just like you do some crazy guy on the street corner hollering his message. Shake your head, laugh, and move on.

:applause:

It's a vicious circle.

Guy makes thing very well.

Word gets out.

Guy gets ton of orders for thing.

Thing only takes guy four hours to make, but orders come in three per day.

Guy gets HUGE backlog in no time.

So, if he rushes the quality suffers, if he adds help he spends all his time getting help up to speed (and rejecting some percentage as unfit for sale). Or, he keeps his head down and charges on. Early last summer he turned out a swamped barrel for me in about three months. He might have a many more months worth of backlog built up now and is in no blazing hurry to add more.

Remember what happened when they pushed Mozart too hard to produce.

Business = Takeing care of the customer.

Takeing care of customer = Returning phone calls/e-mails and answering questions.

Rule #1 of business = Take care of your customers or someone else will.

Woody

Stumpkiller: A number of years ago this was related to me by one of the principals:

A very well known custom gunsmith had about a three year backlog of orders, all secured with substantial down payments. He went to the board of directors and asked if he could defer new orders until he got caught up. Management said, "No; if the customer has the down payment you must accept the order."

So the gunsmith said, "Well, why don't we double the price on every item, that should slow 'em down." Management said "What a great idea, we'll have a better bottom line too."

The volume of orders just about doubled with the price increase. .

v/r, Bluejacket

Stumpy it has been since Dec 16th since i sent an email and have called and left msg. 4 times since.Not what I would call 2 days.
To not hear a word is not what I call running a business in the interest of the consumer :sorry:

Woody

Latest posts

Back