• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RIFLE NAME

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't name my rifles; 'fraid I'll get too attached emotionally when it's time to sell 'em.
I have been known to give one a 'name' when the ball didn't go where it's supposed to....

Bluejacket

Zonie said:
Prudence is the name of my Reading County rifle.

Good name and a great looking rifle. "Prudence" would make a good "sister" name to go with my "Patience". :grin:

I recollect I've heard that name on the wind many times. Seems to be followed by some kind of wild ceremony.

Cause we love 'em like a good dog or a good horse I guess. I love my Old Sadie for a host of reasons. She has never let me down. I've screwed up some but she ain't.
:grin:

Just curious,,,why do shooters give their guns names???

Planes, boats, guns, swords.

Some objects earn names because they have personalities. Some have no personality and deserve no names.

You have to have something to call them when you're begging them to hold together, go faster, or perform better. And, when you're alone and in trouble, it's comforting to have a "friend" in your court.

"C'mon Cherry, just spark even though it's raining and I'll clean ye extra special and wax ye up good tonight."

IF YOU SPEND THAT MUCH TIME WORKIN ON THEM AND WITH THEM ,THAT MUCH PATIENCE,AND THAT MUCH MONEY,AND KNOW THEY'RE MOST INTIMATE SECRETS,YOU FEEL VERY CLOSE TO YOUR GUN,AND YOU MAKE IT MORE PERSONAL BY NAMING IT FROM A PAST EXPIERENCE AND /OR FRIEND/BUILDER ETC.. SORTA LIKE KIDS....CEPT YOU CAN SHOOT'EM....BESIDES IF YA DON'T NAME THEM,YOU CAN'T OFFEND THEM BY CALLIN THEM SOMETHIN ELSE WHEN THEY'RE BAD.................

The "little .32" The ".45" The ".54" and the "20 gauge". Just too lazy to do more... :v

Seems like most guys give their rifles womens names. Guess that's cause they have that common trait-If you keep it around long enough, you're gonna want to shoot it. :grin:

I never named a rifle till I started hunting with my Son. He shot several deer with a .260 Rem. One day as we got ready to go on another trip he asked if he was gonna use "GutSlinger" again! :bow:
Well it was so named never to be sold or re-named.

Now I have to get him to get a deer with a BP gun and see what comes from it. Wouldn't mind naming another one! :thumbsup:

Great Thread.

My first was named," THUMPER" because I was new to side locks and didn't know anyone into muzzle loading and it was before the days of the internet. Of course I was dumping the MAX. charge down the barrel. The reach wasn't right for me and I'm a small guy. After my first day shooting about 75 rnds with Thumper, I was looking pretty beat up. Massive black and blues that turn the that pretty yellow and green :rotf:. Once I discovered that you could decrease the powder charge, things where alot better. :grin: My other loader is called the," UnderTaker." The ground rats worst nightmare in my neck of the woods. The local ground rats know what it's about.

Longgun001.jpg

This here gun is called "Sunny".It was left for me by a friend that passed away.His name was Sonny.

I have a rifle I named "dethwind" after the the
frontiersman's Lewis Wetzel's rifle. I also have one I call " King David" and one I call "Ivan the terrible" kicks like crazy. And my .25 cal. I call
"Daisy". I have more but you get the idea.

Mornin DEATH WIND
We call my 50 cal. T/C Hawken's "Drop-em" seems to fit,,

Walker357,
Seen to many post by you to know you
mean that!!!!!
How is your son doing in Iraq?
I know I'm off topic, PM me if you care to.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

AS to your question "Why do shooters give their guns names?" I believe responses by Lennouenoxie, Stumpkiller, RC, and Walker 357 seem to get to the heart of the answer. The "WHY" we name them doesn't bother me so much. But, when we start taken 'em to bed {see "Halftail" post} ~ THEN I have to start wondering. Attn: Halftail - Which side of the bed do you get? Looks like Sonny takes the middle!!! All in gest! Thanks for the picture Halftail- - - the quilt pattern seems to add to the ambience ... {the hunter's star}.
THE HUNTER'S STAR could be topic for another thread.

Back